sleep problems

Options
Hi everyone,

I am in week 24 and have started having problems sleeping. I have no problem falling asleep (can fall asleep in a good 5 mins :P) and will sleep well for about 2 hours but it all goes down hill from there. I generally wake up at around 12:30 and then seem to look at the clock every hour after that. I "sleep" between each hour but it is a very light sleep, basically just dosing. Are there others out there with a similar problem or anyone with any good ideas on how to sleep thought the night. i am using pillows right now between my legs and under my tummy which has helped with sore hips and back when sleeping but that is not my problem any more.

thanks for your help and ideas,

Mel

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I wish I had good ideas for you, but I suffered much of the same. It got better towards the end, I was able to sleep much longer--waking up just once or twice a night. The only things that worked when I was waking up every 2 hrs was 1--exhausting myself both physically and mentally and 2--having a glass of wine. I know not everyone is comfortable with the wine thing, but it worked for me when I did it (about once a week).

Now that I have an 8 day old, I truly believe that this is just mother natures way of prepping us. She sleeps anywhere from 2-6 hours at a time, and it's always a crapshoot which one it'll be.

Hang in there. It'll all be worth it in the end.

(I also read that gestational diabetes can cause temporary sleep apnea, which means waking up every hour or two. I was a borderline fail on my GD test at 28 weeks. Once I was following a GD food plan, I started to sleep a bit better too. So that may have been a contributing factor for me.)
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am early on and I usually wake up around 3 am every night. Last night I woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep until 4am. That one was brutal waking up for work this morning at 5:30. I wish I had some answers for you, but sadly I can only offer support as I'm in the same boat.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've always had some sort of sleep issue, mostly bc I'm a night owl. It's worsened over the past couple of years bc we've had to move further away from my job (longer commute) and I'm always afraid of oversleeping, so I sleep light during the week. Weekends, I'm knocked out 8-10 hours (unless it's a bathroom break!). It takes me a while to fall asleep also as my brain doesn't know when to shut off, so most of the time, I have the TV on to drown out my thoughts, lol.

Wish I could help :(
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I hav a zofran pump on and that makes it hard to get comfortable and sleep, so I just started taking my benadryl at night to help me get a few hours in. unisom is also safe. I have a 5 month old and am 14 weeks pregnant. I feel like I haven't slept in a year and a half.
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies, nice to hear im not the only one. I suposse i need to put it down to training for when the baby comes lol
  • MeanieD
    Options
    BUMP!

I was having a problem sleeping through the night. I found that rubbing lavender oil on my feet and drinking a nice herbal tea before bedtime seems to help.

Anyone else?