Excess Skin

Options
That is one item I am obsessed about in addiiton to losing the weight. What happens with the excess skin? I heard that if you lose the weight slowly, you won't have excss skin to worry about.

Anyone here experiencing this?

Replies

• favor030969
    favor030969 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone is different. Age, amount of weight you lose, protein and water intake, how fast you lose and other factors all play a big part in this. Younger sleevers may have more elasticity. I haven't experienced this problem.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how fast or slow you lose the weight. Strength training doesn't help that much -- I've lifted throughout my loss and deadlift 205 now. What matters, to a certain extent, is age (younger is better), skin elasticity/genetics, and how much weight you have to lose. My experience with my long-term sleeve friends is that most people, regardless of circumstances, who lose more than 100 pounds have loose skin. I don't know a single person who has gone from morbidly (or super morbidly) obese to normal weight who doesn't have skin issues. Sorry.

I do like my loose skin a lot more than my previous rolls of fat. Those who have the means to do plastics generally do, and those who don't find that compression garments like Spanx or similar are very helpful.

My loose skin is not horribly disfiguring by any means (100 pound loss, weight carried mostly in abdomen), but It is noticeable when I'm naked -- mostly on my abdomen, a little on my lower back and a little on my upper/inner thighs.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, have lost 100 lbs so far and I have lots of loose skin. It is what it is. I'd rather be thinner with loose skin than obese with great skin :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, have lost 100 lbs so far and I have lots of loose skin. It is what it is. I'd rather be thinner with loose skin than obese with great skin :)

Truth!
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great post! I, too, am worried about this side effect. I am 25 and have lost 52 pounds at a reasonable pace-sleeved Sept 10th. I have already noticed sagging skin in my upper and inner thighs that is super annoying. Also, my "bat wings" on my arms will undoubtedly allow me to take flight by the time I reach goal. As others have said, I'd much rather be thinner with excess skin, then fat with pretty skin. I'm not sure how I feel about skin removal surgeries as of now. I have heard different accounts from people who have had it done. I guess I will evaluate that later on.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    2 ladies in my support group had the plastic surgery about 4 years after their RNY wt loss surgery. They both said it hurt like crazy and recovery was very slow but they would do it again. Each paid around 10 grand. I have developed a bit of a turkey neck but I like it better than the column of lard that used to be my neck :)