new full feeling

Options
Ok it's only been 10 days lol still trying to figure my trigger response to fullness it seems to be a painful session to learn lol but it's getting better maybe I'm drinking too fast overall I have done well I think only had 1 nauseated day that med was adjusted.great since then..anyone else have to learn this!?

Replies

• kfalcon23
    kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was sleeved 8/30/13. My old feeling of full, and my new feeling of full are very different! It took me a while to get the hang of it LOL!
    I ate really, really slow, and was very thoughtful of every bite. I was able to figure it out, and so will you - it just takes a bit of time and effort.
    Good luck! :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It's definitely different now! "Full" comes in my throat, not my belly now and it's WAY more uncomfortable than before. I really have to concentrate on how I'm feeling to avoid over doing it now.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yes, very different now! It took me 2 or 3 months to understand what my sleeve is telling me. Go slow and stop at the very first sign of discomfort or fullness. For me one extra bite was usually too much and I'd get pain and/or vomiting.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,706 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all go through this. Right after the surgery, your stomach tissue is still swollen while it's healing from the surgery.

As I was leaving the hospital, my nurse said "you won't be able to meet your liquid goals the first few days." I thought she was criticizing my willpower, but she wasn't. She was referring to the fact that it would be physically impossible.

My team taught me to sip my liquids all day and get at least one ounce every fifteen minutes. Otherwise I wouldn't get enough, because it was impossible to get more than a sip at a time for weeks. Being able to gulp water was one of the biggest pleasures that came with healing, and it took awhile.

I never got to the point of throwing up; but got real close a few times. You are doing excellent if you have limited it to nausea!

Do what you can. Make sure to squeeze in your proteins and vitamins and drink all day. You are really going to love this!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That "one bite too many" feeling for me manifests with "hiccaburps". Completely new experience but a great "tell". The key now is recognizing the feeling before ""hiccaburping". Work in progress.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I get really flemmy in the nose and the throat when I'm overly full and anything extra at that point, even one bite, will come back up. Not the whole meal, just the extra. So I've learned that if I feel like I need to burp, I am done eating. And even if I burp and then feel like I've got more room, I don't eat more, I still stop at that point. That's my cue. I see here others have different cues. You will find yours and when you do, use it. It's awesome how the sleeve can really help with portion control if you let it.
  • nantnet
    nantnet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love the term Hiccaburp and know exactly what you mean. I got sick twice and both times on eggs so they are not my friend now... It seems that once I experienced that uncomfortable/painful feeling a couple times, that is all it took to teach me. Now I eat a couple bites, chew them to death and then wait for a while before I put more in to make sure I am not full. I mainly just make sure I get as much of my fluids as I can, all my vitamins and protein and besides that I don't really care how much I eat because it won't ever be much.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I know how much (volume wise) I can eat, so every 1/4 of the portion, I take a break. I still chew until I get an applesauce consistency. :) When I was first getting used to the changes, I would get hiccups, and my nose would run.
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. They are all exactly right. For me it's that one bite too many and a surging pain takes over my stomach to the point that I am holing it and rocking back and forth to soothe the pain. The feeling I use to feel before surgery and now are completely different. I prefer this feeling of full because I know I have to stop where before I don't think I ever experienced full, bottomless pit. It takes time to find your satisfaction point. Just do as everyone here said and chew,chew, chew, and monitor when you feel satisfied. Good luck.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm four months out. I only felt pain in my stomach for the first 3-4 weeks. Nausea has not been a problem at all. I'm still guaging my fullness on a day to day basis. When I prepare meals myself, I know by sight. When we go out to dinner or are around friends, I'm easily distracted from my eating, I will get too full. It is usually that one bite that others have talked about that does me in. I always feel it in my throat and then the "hiccaburps" will manifest. I have not felt nauseated once, but have had to go to the restroom and regurgitate that last bite or two. The full meal never comes up...just that last bite that sits in my throat. The fullness cue does not come from stomach at all. And once those other "cues" occur, I feel its already too late...I've ate too much. That is why I try to eat by sight and only consume an amount that I can digest without problems.
  • matthewsantana965
    Options
    I'm only four else out and just starting to figure it out!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    At 3/4 cup in volume I will get queasy. I am better at slowing down because 2 more bites and I will be nauseous for an hour. At around 95 days out I am learning to NOT fill my mouth with food or drink. A tsp of food at a time is appropriate and let's be honest taking full mouthfuls of food is not attractive to anyone eating with us.