How much protein are you eating each day?

Options
Chebeau
Chebeau Posts: 13 Member
As I approach 40, I realize I need to make healthier choices in terms of dealing with my PCOS for my long term health. One area is making changes to my diet. I am curious to know how many grams of protein PCOSs are doing and how it is helping with weight loss and overall health.

Also, how are you getting your protein?

Thanks!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've also just started dealing with my PCOS. Ive read a lot about it, on these boards and elsewhere and found that a LCHF diet is the best for PCOS and insulin resistance. So my macros are 15/25/60 c/p/f percentages which for me is about 50 or less carbs a day, about 100g protein a day and at least 100g of fat, and usually more, a day.

I eat chicken, eggs, whole milk, whole milk yogurt and cheese, avocados, nuts, cream, fish, etc everyday. Im on metformin for the insulin resistance and let me tell you, it lets you know loudly if you have too many carbs so I do my best to keep those low and fill the rest with a moderate protein and high fat.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been working on upping the protein as well. My goal is 150g per day and I am still only getting around 100g consistently.

I eat egg whites, protein bars and lean meats (often in soups). I haven't been identified as being insulin resistant (knocks on wood) so I don't have to worry as much about carbs but i try to keep them in check as well (about 100-150g).

My diary is open to friends so feel free to add me!

Eta: lentils are also a wonderful source of protein and can be very yummy if prepared correctly!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I calculate my macros as follows:

Carbs - Set according to carb needs as determined by whatever method you use. For me, it's between 75g and 100g.

Protein - Set using the .5-1g per pound of lean body mass formula, depending on exercise needs (weight lifting requires more, for example). For me, that's about 150g, but I'm happy with at least 100g.

Fat - The rest of your allotted calories. Seriously, don't shy away from fats, especially as you drop your carbs. You need to get your fuel from somewhere, and protein is not a good option. Plus, low fat and low carb is a recipe for compliance disaster (there are actually studies that show people develop intense cravings for fat and carbs when living off of next to nothing but protein), and you need fat to absorb a number of nutrients.
  • tiffaniannette
    Options
    As I approach 40, I realize I need to make healthier choices in terms of dealing with my PCOS for my long term health. One area is making changes to my diet. I am curious to know how many grams of protein PCOSs are doing and how it is helping with weight loss and overall health.

Thanks!

I was just thinking this morning, I have been getting around 75 and wondering if that is too high. i know carbs are important on PCOS diet but not sure exactly how too much or not enough protein comes into play. I can tell you that I am getting my protein mainly from a protein shake (I drink GNC Total Lean), cheese (typically a snack I eat), and chicken (i eat chicken almost daily at least once). :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I was just thinking this morning, I have been getting around 75 and wondering if that is too high. i know carbs are important on PCOS diet but not sure exactly how too much or not enough protein comes into play. I can tell you that I am getting my protein mainly from a protein shake (I drink GNC Total Lean), cheese (typically a snack I eat), and chicken (i eat chicken almost daily at least once). :)

Protein causes an insulin response in the body, but it's also necessary to keep lean mass on (especially if you're actively trying to lose weight). So, you need to eat enough protein to maintain the lean mass you have, or build more if you're trying to build muscle, but beyond that, you're prompting insulin secretion for only half of protein's benefit.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set to 50% fat - 25% carbs - 25% protein - so whatever that works out to be. I'm pretty good at sticking fairly close to that.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100g protein plus and as long as I hit over 1200 calories, I am at 100g-140g. When I consistently get 100g+, the weight falls off of me. This won't be one of those weeks.

But I also am starting to think about what my true BMR is and really want to get measured as I understand that women with PCOS cannot use any online calculator to calculate BMR as it could be 30% or more off.