Stretch Marks / Solutions

Options
This is going out to moms or friends of moms who have already had kids before. I'm just wondering if stretch mark creams or oils really do help at all?

I've just been using coconut oil to keep things moisturized and drinking lots of water. I noticed the start of some stretch marks on my sides though so I started using something that's supposed to be tailored for stretch marks....

Long question made short, do you know of anything that works? Is there actually anything that I can do other than cream-wise to help? I already have stretch marks from weight gain over the years. I'd like to minimize any more.

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Any cream suggestions would be most appreciated. Especially if you are in Canada/shop in Canada(Ontario).

Replies

• amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey Suzanne -

Everyone I know who's been pregnant keeps telling me to use lots of lotion to keep skin moisturized and drink lots of water ... but most things I read say it makes no difference. Apparently the lotions and oils out there marketed to reducing stretch mark appearance only fade what you already have, but there is nothing to support that they prevent new stretch marks from appearing.

Apparently there is nothing much you can do. If your mom and grandma had stretch marks, chances are you will too! My doctor mentioned that gaining too much too soon may contribute to an increase in stretch marks, so a slow and steady weight gain is best.

Hope this is helpful - sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    That's actually super helpful. Thanks! That's what I had heard too and I was okay with that but then someone at work was telling me that her daughter used this thing and it worked and blah blah blah. But her mom was telling me that she herself had a lot of stretch marks so I wondered. I'm glad to hear that I don't have to spend any extra money on anything that won't work.

I'm drinking water like it's going out of style and moisturizing anyway. Nothing else to be done. :)
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found two bright red stretch marks on my belly last night :( was not a good moment for me.

I understand that my body is changing and it's supposed to. I understand that this is all part of growing a healthy baby.

But that doesn't always make it easier to accept these rapid changes - especially when I had serious body image issues BEFORE getting pregnant.

*sigh*
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I understand completely... I've had a couple on my sides from regular weight gain over the years, you know, because I'm not self conscious about my muffin top at all....

So far so good, but I've been noticing little red dots that could potentially turn into something more. Hey, they're just tiger stripes though, right? Because you've got to be pretty fierce to make it through nine months of pregnancy! :)

As far as creams I've been using Palmer's products to help with the itch. I know that it likely won't do anything with the stretch marks, but oh just to quell that awful itch....
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Amy- I can relate. I've always had poor body image and i'm terrifed of stretch marks. I know we are supposed to "embrace" them as new mama's but that's going to be really hard for me! So far, I haven't found any, but I also haven't gained any weight either. I read also that nothing really helps and occasionally i'll slab some lotion on, but for the most part I don't. I'm trying to drink lots of water, but my stomach gets so full so quickly now that I often feel uncomfortable if I drink to much water *sigh*