Questions about calorie goals

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked plenty, but how do you figure out your calorie goals? I am quite large (BMI 38) and was told not to gain too much weight, possibly none. So far that hasn't been too hard but I imagine it will get tougher in the latter 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

Second, and I apologize because this one's kind of gross, but do you compensate after you throw up? I just started food journal logging again last week and I have been recording vomiting as zero calories. I need it in my food journal to show the dietician next week because she's looking for a pattern of what is triggering it, so she wants it recorded along with my food intake. But that got me wondering - if I eat a meal and then I lose it, should I be trying to get extra calories later that day? I am 16 weeks pregnant and my nausea is not subsiding even with medication.

Ok enough questions from me. :-) Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

Replies

• Hi I would set your calories to maintenance then just leave them there with the vomiting just keep an eye on your weight if it's dropping then try and add more a bit later if you can, it's quite common for people to lose weight due to sickness to start with so as long as your eating healthily / taking a vitamin and able to keep that down baby should be able to get everything they need from you.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    If you google pregnancy calculator, there's one where you can input your start weight, height, level of activity etc, and it calculates it for you. Saying that, I thought mine was quite high - 2300 - so I aim for 1800, with a view to not minding if I go over slightly. I was eating 1500-1600 before I was pregnant. I still exercise several times a week, plus do a fairly active job where I'm on my feet a lot.

I found I ate more in the first trimester as I was so nauseous (but never actually threw up) and eating helped me feel better. That stopped at 14 weeks, and since then my eating has been much better. Well, apart from the treats now it's nearly Xmas....

I think in that first trimester where you're feeling crap, just eat what you can. Your baby will take everything it needs, so it's you who ends up losing out on the nutrients and so on, so the vitamin is definitely important.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,764 Member
    If you've been told not to gain too much weight then I'd recommend aiming for maintenance level calories, but if you feel hungry on some days don't be afraid to go over - babies go through growth spurts in utero and I found some weeks I am starving whereas others seem no different to pre-pregnancy. As for vomiting, you're unlikely to throw up your entire meal (even though if may feel and look like it), so be careful in overcompensating for being sick. I'm a big fan of listening to your body to assess your hunger, and choosing healthy options when you're having cravings (easier said than done). Finally, keep moving - even if it's just walking, it will help hugely in keeping your weight under control. Good luck.
  • annie_etc
    annie_etc Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everybody for your replies! I will check out my maintenance calories and then run them by my dietitian. It so frustrating to be vomiting at 16 weeks. Apparently some women have morning sickness the entire time. I really hope I don't end up in that statistic!
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    If you're seeing a dietitian can't she (he) recommend caloric goals?