Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Salt is my worst nightmare! Anyone else?

lieselLalor
lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
The other day I was at work and I could tell my blood pressure was rising. I wasn't upset or anxious, I could just feel my heart start pounding harder so I asked a coworker to take my blood pressure (I work at a medical clinic). My blood pressure was through the roof which is extremely unusual for me. I have perfect blood pressure usually. So they sent me right to my doctor, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars...well, by the time I got there I was fine. I thought about it and realized I had lunch with a high sodium content so the next day I wanted to test this theory. Was the salt the culprit? I had another high sodium lunch and about 30 minutes later I felt my blood pressure rise. This time I didn't worry, I know my issue now but today again, I'm having trouble staying away from the salt. After the holidays I know I'll be back in my routine and cooking more for myself so I won't be taking in so much sodium but has anyone else had this problem? Do you have any tips or advice? I'm trying to drink extra water for now because the damage was already done today. Would love to hear from anyone else.

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    I've not had my BP go up dramatically from salt but I do notice that if I don't drink water with a salty meal, my hands swell up like marshmallows! I've always been a water drinker and will drink 8+ glasses without trying, but now I've noticed I have to drink 10+ glasses to feel the same - and even more if I'm having a "salty" day.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'd agree on the water...also I hope you are being followed by your OB. Hypertension in pregnancy can be very serious. Mine went up to dangerous levels with my pregnancy when I reached second trimester. I am currently controlled with medications, but I'm still at risk for preeclampsia.

Oh and if you feel light headed, blurry vision, palpitations get to the doctor ASAP
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Thanks guys. I was worried about preeclampsia but my Doc said that it wasn't anything to do with the baby this soon in my pregnancy. This is my second pregnancy and I never had a problem like this in my first and I barely ever drank any water with my first. I agree I drink much more water this time and I can feel it on those salty days.