UK-- -- jogging question

00NL
00NL Posts: 171 Member
i will be coming to London ( bishop hatfield)

i have no idea of the weather there besides that it is extremely cold

i am not a treadmill person and jog outside

So is there snow there. then how do you guys jog outside ?? where do you jog.

i am from a hot country so have never faced these issues therefore no idea what i am talking about.

just one thing in my mind how can a person jog on the road or ground that has snow on it

please guide me

my issue is i have to come to this place and i want to continue to jog outisde

Replies

• Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    It isn't usually cold enough for snow in London. It probably averages about 5 Celsius in winter. I would advise bringing a waterproof layer as rain is very likely, some gloves, a hat and long sleeved running top and winter running tights. I run outside all year round and it is very rare that I can't run because of the weather.
  • There isn't snow on the horizon for a very long time yet. It's pouring with rain at the minute, and it is set to be for the next few days. Not sure when you're intending on going to London. But, word of warning: You won't be jogging on the road anyway, you'll be knocked over!.. and the pavements may be too busy to be jogging along too.. Alot of people tend to go to the Parks there, and do all their exercise there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Hatfield is North of London, so you might have some. But it's rarely enough to cause that much of a problem, it's just a question of shorter steps and slowing up a little. A bit like mud.

The main thing is being comfortable getting wet.
  • 00NL
    ooo so you guys jog in rain. isnt that terrible. extremely cold and rain. :(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    ooo so you guys jog in rain. isnt that terrible. extremely cold and rain. :(

Not much option really ;) but I meant your feet really.

Once I'm moving it doesnt matter much, then it's just a questions of peeling off the tights and top and straight into the wash with them.

For me I normally wear sports glasses, so in rain they're not practical.

It's a choice, not an issue.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    The cold and rain make my run really enjoyable........but then I like mud too lol
    google for a friendly jog/run club and do as Nmt100 suggests clothing wise. Enjoy exploring your new home x
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Living in Yorkshire I have no choice but to run in the rain. I actually prefer this time of year and after a few mins you warn up.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Totally agree with you.... this is a great time of year to run, summer is a killer for me. I mean no mud or puddles to splash through for 2wks aug/sept, while autumn and winter is awesome:smile:
  • 00NL
    okay for u guys but it may make me ill
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    okay for u guys but it may make me ill

Sorry to say but there is no link between going out in the cold and getting ill - well unless you end up with hypothermia. There are links that suggest that people who run regularly tend to get LESS cold.

Just wrap at warm - with plenty of layers and would suggest using a running scarf over your face to protect your lungs from cold air for your first few runs.