Hip flexor PAIN

Options
QuietBloom
QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
Oh my goodness. I'm fairly sure this is muscle related, and has something to do with the fact that it has been 10 years since I ran any serious mileage or done any serious stretching. I've done everything I can think of - new shoes (I've had a stride analysis) looong warm-up (1 mile) with stretching and loooong cool down (1 mile) with same. Cross training. Foam roller and pinkie ball torture. But it's gotten to the point where I can't run without pain until about 4 miles in. Then I finally start to feel like I'm loosening up and really able to hit my stride.

It's both sides, one side slightly worse than the other. Anti-inflammatories no longer touch it. I'm going to take a week off and see how it goes. Does anyone know if this could be caused by a muscular imbalance? I'd seek therapy, but am currently unemployed, and I've had serious injuries before (stress fracture) and I know what they feel like, and this is not serious IMO, just temporarily hobbling. lol

Thank you in advance...

Any insight or suggestions would be very welcome.

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with my right hip flexor. I just stretched like crazy. There's a stretch that I used to do in dance where you are almost in the splits with front leg bent and foot flat on the floor ( I'll look it up in a minute.). I did that before, during and after every run. I would warm up, do active stretching movements, stretch, run for fifteen minutes, stop running and do that stretch and a quad stretch, then finish my run, then stretch again, then go home and do floor stretches. It's easy to make the mistake of arching your back. If you stretch lying on your side with unaffected leg bent this can be prevented. I know this all sounds excessive, but I was hurting for a few years and this helped me. Like I said, I'll see if I can find some pictures:)

This is what I used to do before, on route, and after my run:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html

This is an example of floor exercises you could do at home within an hour of your run:

http://www.fitbodyhq.com/fitness/12-great-stretches-for-tight-hip-flexors/

The second website shows a floor routine which is similar to what I used to do and a warm up with active stretches like I used to do. It worked for me! Good luck to you:)
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I do the bent knee stretch. Any stretches that require me to actually use the flexors have always been a problem, because they have always tended to be tight and that makes them worse. That is why I was thinking I have some kind of imbalance. Probably ridiculously tight hammies - another thing I need to work on.

Thank you for your reply and the videos. I know I need to stretch my inner thighs more as well, and I think that does tie in with the flexors. :flowerforyou:
  • KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. It was so bad I sought help at a running medicine clinic. There I was diagnosed with an anterior tilted pelvis and hip flexor tendinitis. I was heel striking due to overstriding and my running form was terrible. All this was due to weak core muscles. I had physical therapy and was also taught how to run properly with good form. No more overstriding and mid foot landing. The physical therapist had me switch to a neutral shoe with a 4-6mm heel to toe drop. After 5 months of religiously doing the exercises, I am so much better. The doctor said I could run through the pain if it was tolerable, so I only took 2 weeks off total.
    If you want to fix this issue, forget about just stretching. You can stretch but you have to fix you weak glutes and hamstrings. That is what contributes to the pain. I do double leg bridges, single leg bridges, side lying leg raises, squats, single leg and double. I also do planks, use a resistance band and walk sideways. I added leg raises with weights when my knee started to bother me also. I do feet strengthening and a few other exercises. This really works and I am setting PR's with every race now. The best part is that for most of my life I had a duck foot which has now much less noticeable with pt to fix the tilt in my hip muscles. I am stronger now at 52 then I was in my 20's. I hope this was helpful. I sympathize that you cannot afford to see a running doctor and get pt like I did. It made so much difference in my running.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    KayandBelle, thank you for your answer. I was thinking today that the pain does resemble tendonitis. I may have very well started this out with heel striking. It's been 10 years since I did any serious running, and after awhile I realized I'd let my form lapse. I do kettlebells, so I am working on ham and glute and core strength there, as well as focusing on a midfoot landing and running from the glutes, which I don't think I was doing, and what may have caused this. Unfortunately I got sidelined before I could really benefit from spiffing up my form and was left to suffer from running 'lazy'.

I need a stability shoe because I pronate. But I think you hit the nail on the head with a tilted pelvis. thank you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help QuietBloom. If you have a way to have someone video you while you run that would help a lot. Of all the core you can do, I believe the double leg bridge and side hip leg raises are invaluable for fixing weak glutes and correcting tilted pelvis problems. Fixing a poor running form is so difficult too. I still work on it after 6 months. It will come naturally after a few months. The advantage of a more minimal shoe like a Newton Energy or Brooks Pure Cadence is that it is hard to heel strike wearing these lower heel drop shoes. My physical therapist (who specializes in running injuries) was invaluable to me when teaching me how to run with a good form. Make sure you land with your foot under your hip. Pronation is no big deal. I pronate from the hip but not the foot. As long as I land midfoot and under my hips with only a slight lean from the ankle, my hip flexor pain is gone. I still have a little hamstring tendinitis when I try to push it too hard. Sigh. I back off for a few days and I'm ok.