Leg day, your thoughts?

The oh so dreaded and brutal "leg day". Here's my take on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFL48-6liN4

Do you enjoy leg day? Or do you walk into the gym each time praying that it'll end soon?

Your man,

~Alex

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    I'm still doing full body workouts for now so it's been a while since I've had a dedicated leg day but generally I prefer leg workouts. It's probably more a mental thing though as I make strength gains in my upper body so damn slow compared to lower body. I'm just generally liking seeing faster progress I'd say.
  • Glad to see that there are other people out there that train full body! You're right though, I do miss days dedicated to training my legs alone. Full body workouts are optimal in my opinion though.
  • Caporegiem
    I prefer them, I bounced around in the gym wasting my time for quite a while before I came across some good resources and actually took the time to read and get a good workout plan. I fell for a couple of those programs they put on the front page of bodybuilding.com before realizing they're mostly just there to market loads of supplements. I started with Starting Strength and I was moving well with it but I got bored with it quick and lost focus. I came across the Allpros workout in the workout program forum there and I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of it. It's slow progressing through it but I do like the minimal downtime you have between sets so I can get my workout done in 35-45 minutes.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    I hit legs/lower body twice a week and hate it. I'm def more of an upper body guy but know if your wheels arnt nice judges wont even care about what you've got goin on upper body. Since getting on stage is a huge goal of mine I make sure the wheels get worked as much as everything else.

I started this routine a few months ago and love it
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

It really is the perfect frequency and volume and I love the fact that it focuses on lower body as much as it does upper. Gives alot of room for progressive overload too which is something I look for when designing my own program. The guy basically did everything I'd do when designing a program but better.

I do have to say I've developed a great affection for squats. They've easily become my most loved and hated compound exercise lol.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    errday leg day :laugh:

but yeah....i do stronglifts so i get that full body workout
  • I don't know why people hate leg day. I love it. The most power is in your legs. I started about three years ago leg pressing 180. I'm at 830 now. I'm 160 lbs. So I say bring it.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    I don't know why people hate leg day. I love it. The most power is in your legs. I started about three years ago leg pressing 180. I'm at 830 now. I'm 160 lbs. So I say bring it.

Most dude I lift with (myself included) hate lower body days because these are the groups that are less "showy"...unless you're completely naked
  • I hear ya, but the way I see it, with legs being the larger muscles in the body, when you work them, more testosterone is released, thus benefiting the entire body.
    Plus a 160 lb guy leg pressing 830, its funny when people just stop and stare. ( Not trying to brag, I have chicken legs, but somehow theres strength in there. )
  • Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Monday is my leg day. :) WOW am I the only female in here? Thanks for adding me to the group.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Leg day is one of my favorite lifting days because A. I am a girl and squats do amazing things and B. I am a hockey player so stronger legs equal better skating.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Leg day is my favorite day of the week! Unlike most people, I HATE chest day....with a passion. Oh, and I hate working biceps too. IF I could work legs every day, I would.
  • Caporegiem
    Leg day is my favorite day of the week! Unlike most people, I HATE chest day....with a passion. Oh, and I hate working biceps too. IF I could work legs every day, I would.

I know how you feel, my chest exercises are my least favorite part of my workout. It wouldn't be so bad but my chest is real weak and I stall at pretty pathetic weights.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member

Haha chest and biceps are my favorites!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I am not too fond of Leg Day. I was in a class where the instuctor had sort of large thighs. So, most of our workouts were doing our legs. What she didn't realize is that she was building some major muscles in her legs and therefore making them bigger. I dropped out of the class because I want to work my entire body.

(Portugueselov....looks like it is just you and I)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    tumblr_m5f4zxB2GA1rxokmko1_250.gif

This was me the last 2 days after finally finding a stance that enables me to hit parallel @ every squat rep. Hamstring DOMS! ouch!