Day 1 - New to Reboot

Options
gail200186
gail200186 Posts: 59 Member
So I just started my 1st day of reboot. My first few days I am modifying the fasting a wee bit, only having the occassional solid meal maybe once a day to start. No meat. No dairy. Just veg and fruits. Lots of water!

Heres what I've eaten:

Day 1:
Pre-Breakfast: 12oz hot water with lemon and a tsp of honey
Breakfast: Carrot, Apple and Ginger juice
Mid-Morning Snack: 20oz water
Lunch: 2 cups kale, 1 cup red cabbage, 1/4 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic and a little olive oil, sauted
Mid-Afternoon Snack: Joe's Mean Green Juice
Dinner: Spring mix Avocado Salad with balsamic vinegarette with Carrot & Sweet Potato "Fries"
Evening: Herbal Tea

My goal is 120 lbs. I'm currently 193.....so I have 73 lbs to lose. I've tried many different "diets" and "plans" in the past with little help. And I know that this one is going to kick my butt, what with no meat, dairy or breads or pasta involved.

Is anyone else out there just starting out????

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So I just started my 1st day of reboot. My first few days I am modifying the fasting a wee bit, only having the occassional solid meal maybe once a day to start. No meat. No dairy. Just veg and fruits. Lots of water!

Heres what I've eaten:

Day 1:
    Pre-Breakfast: 12oz hot water with lemon and a tsp of honey
    Breakfast: Carrot, Apple and Ginger juice
    Mid-Morning Snack: 20oz water
    Lunch: 2 cups kale, 1 cup red cabbage, 1/4 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic and a little olive oil, sauted
    Mid-Afternoon Snack: Joe's Mean Green Juice
    Dinner: Spring mix Avocado Salad with balsamic vinegarette with Carrot & Sweet Potato "Fries"
    Evening: Herbal Tea

My goal is 120 lbs. I'm currently 193.....so I have 73 lbs to lose. I've tried many different "diets" and "plans" in the past with little help. And I know that this one is going to kick my butt, what with no meat, dairy or breads or pasta involved.

Is anyone else out there just starting out????

Not just starting out, but thought this might be of some help to you.... I think your approach is probably pretty sensible. Have you calculated what sort of calories you're taking in daily? The bottom quote is mine, from another thread.
    Hello all, I have been searching for a juicing forum without all of the negativity for awhile now and I think I've found it here!

It's often rather quiet in here. But, this is where you'll find like-minded people.
    without trying the juicing I'm not sure I would have made the progress I have. So I certainly don't think your approach is dumb because you are learning what works best for you!

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I only did juice exclusively for 10 days. It's all I could take. I started dreaming about salads, salads with nuts, salads with tuna... and that didn't seem so bad. So, after the 10 days, I did juice about 4X a day, and a HUGE salad for one meal. Now, I try to eat greens as much as possible.... I'm sort of a wannabe vegan, but I can't do it completely... I try to follow the Eat to Live lifestyle.

It is what works for you. I totally agree that without juicing, I don't think I'd have made the progress I have. IMHO, it's not so much about the 'diet....' but about the exit strategy.... anyone 'can' lose weight by restricting calories... but, if a person doesn't have a plan to switch to a sustainable diet after that.... we all know what happens. :sad:
  • starfuce
    Options
    Hi,

Just watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" a couple of days ago and am waiting on my juicer to arrive. Hoping it will be here in a couple of days so I can get started around New Years. This is the first juice fast I have ever tried, so I am a little nervous about the first three days (because I heard they are the worst), but I am also really excited about the potential rewards. I am currently 192 and am looking to get to 145 at least. I wish you well on your journey, please keep us posted on your progress!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Hi,

Just watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" a couple of days ago and am waiting on my juicer to arrive. Hoping it will be here in a couple of days so I can get started around New Years. This is the first juice fast I have ever tried, so I am a little nervous about the first three days (because I heard they are the worst), but I am also really excited about the potential rewards. I am currently 192 and am looking to get to 145 at least. I wish you well on your journey, please keep us posted on your progress!

The transition ( or shock :noway: ) to nothing but juice, might depend a bit on what your diet is like now. If you drink coffee, or caffeinated beverages, eat lots of 'junk' and or sugar.... you'd probably have withdrawl symptoms if you suddenly stop consuming that stuff. Also, suddenly switching to a liquid diet with no fibre may not sit too well with your system, either.

If you try eating nothing but fruits and vegetables a few days before you go to all juice, it would certainly give you a jumpstart to the transition. I gave up my Diet Dr Pepper habit before I went to all juice, and ate nothing but vegetables for 2 days prior, as well. Quitting the Diet Dr Pepper was harder than drinking juice for awhile.

I strongly suggest you go into this with an open mind. And make your goals flexible. If your firm goal is to juice from 192 down to 145... you're probably in for a very tough go. However, if you have to goal to juice for 10 days, then reassess.... see if you can stick it out for another 20, and make it 30, or go longer.... OR.... when you've had enough of the whole juice thing.... don't just give up, and go back to whatever you were doing before....

YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN EXIT STRATEGY

IMHO, lack of an exit strategy is what leads dieters to failure. At whatever point you decide that you've had enough of juicing.... actually before you get to that point... figure it out now..... what will your next step be?

Mine was to try to basically become a vegan.... this didn't go so well for me. I try to follow Eat to Live, which is very strict.... and I succeed maybe 60%.... but, for now, it's enough for me. I eat several hundred times more fruit and vegetables per day than I did before I started juicing, and along with exercise, I'm still slowly changing my body. Your plan might be completely different.

But, I urge you, to figure out what your next step will be.... so, the day you decide enough of the juicing... you can easily switch to Plan B....

And please stick around to let us know how it's going. Most 1st time posters in here, don't seem to ever come back.....

Confused-Face.jpg
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Gail!

How are you doing? check back in with us!

Janeen
  • stompee
    Options
    I'm starting day 2 today of a 3 day reboot. I am going to reassess on the 3rd day to see if I want to go for 5 days. That is how I am approaching it. I started a blog to write about it to keep myself accountable and really do it. Whether people read the blog or not, I think they may be, so I continue juicing so I have something to write about. I post it on FB.
    Today I feel pretty good except I have a horrible, horrible taste in my mouth since last night. I've brushed a couple of times and it won't go away. My tongue has a weird color too. Yak!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I'm starting day 2 today of a 3 day reboot. I am going to reassess on the 3rd day to see if I want to go for 5 days. That is how I am approaching it. I started a blog to write about it to keep myself accountable and really do it. Whether people read the blog or not, I think they may be, so I continue juicing so I have something to write about. I post it on FB.
    Today I feel pretty good except I have a horrible, horrible taste in my mouth since last night. I've brushed a couple of times and it won't go away. My tongue has a weird color too. Yak!

I haven't juiced in awhile... just this morning, I realized this whole Xmas binging thing is creeping up on me. I decided to start a 3 day 'reboot.' I'd like to read your blog stompee, if you could hook me up as a friend on FB.

Right now, I'm stalling on MFP to avoid going to the gym. :blushing: But, I AM going.....
  • nurseygirl84
    nurseygirl84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! My name is Amanda. I watched fat sick and nearly dead in November of last year after visiting my dr and finding that at age 29 my cholesterol was borderline high. that is ridiculous. I know I am overweight and am working on it but really...high at 29??? it was 198. 200 is when it becomes high. wow. I decided it was time for a change. I quit smoking, stopped drinking soda, and quit most caffeine. I ordered my juicer and when it got here I was so excited!!! I ordered a Breville and I love it! I have been juicing now for about 27 days and I cannot believe how good I feel. I have more natural energy, I am losing weight, i no longer need 5 (yes 5) cups of coffee to stay going at work for 12 hours. I have about 1 a week now. I know lots of changes....I juice only 1 meal a day usually breakfast. I then plan a very healthy dinner packed with fruits and vegetables. I also eat one meal of fish, brown rice, and a green cooked vegetable once daily. I find that I am happy and I believe very much on my way to being healthy. I am looking for others who like me are not just doing a 10 day fast but a long term maintenance program. Please feel free to add me as a friend and look at my journals! :)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Hey Amanda, Awesome that you are feeling so much better. I kind of used juicing as a stepping stone to get to a more plant based diet.... I got totally away from juicing, after I dropped 'most' of the weight I wanted to lose. But, I'm thinking now, that incorporating juice into my daily routine again, might not be such a bad idea.
  • stompee
    stompee Posts: 15
    Options
    For sloth3toes and others who are interested my juicing blog is http://ohlordyjeasusnotbeets.blogspot.com/

It is a new blog so I only have 3 posts so far. (I'm on my 3rd day). It's been hard. I feel good, but I feel hungry. The juice didn't seem to help me out after the 2 mile run I did today. I'm debating on going with juicing all day except have a healthy dinner with some protein. My husband is still on board for the 30 day just juice fast. We'll see how I feel tomorrow I guess.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    For sloth3toes and others who are interested my juicing blog is http://ohlordyjeasusnotbeets.blogspot.com/

It is a new blog so I only have 3 posts so far. (I'm on my 3rd day). It's been hard. I feel good, but I feel hungry. The juice didn't seem to help me out after the 2 mile run I did today. I'm debating on going with juicing all day except have a healthy dinner with some protein. My husband is still on board for the 30 day just juice fast. We'll see how I feel tomorrow I guess.

Just opened your blog... you have me hooked with today's title.

I've posted quite a few times, my experience with juice.... I'm starting to think, or re-think, about some of what I've learned. That is... I'm starting to think that juice has many valuable qualities, and there's probably nothing wrong with 'just juice...' but for what period of time?

I'm wondering just how many of us are like Joe Cross... assuming, he did exactly what he said he did in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I'm wondering if it makes sense to start a juice 'fast' with the intention of going 30 days, or longer..... I'm wondering if just juice for extended periods of time is the smart thing to do.

I'm not super far from my goal weight, whatever that may be... I'm not in a huge hurry to get there..... I don't really want to lose any more muscle.... but I don't want to be gaining, I want to still be going down. So, anyhow, as I previously said, since Xmas, I've been eating rather poorly by my standards, and wanted a bit of a 'reboot.' So, I decided to do 3 days of juice.

Well, starting on day 1, I realized, with the amount of exercise I've been getting lately, I best not just rely on juice. So, I've also been drinking, multiple times per day, a vegan nutritional supplement with like 15 grams of protein per scoop, and I think 6 grams of fiber, and it claims to have multiple other vitamins in it. So, I'm not on pure juice thing... it's juice and vegan protein powder.

I'm involved in a thread at MFP one of those juicing is good, no juicing is bad threads.... and I am recording my daily intake / exercise, and thoughts... and will post it all in that thread, after the 3 days, or longer, after I return to my 'normal' eating pattern to see if I achieve any lasting results.

But, the point of this post is.... I'm feeling pretty damn good on my current 'diet....' and getting alot of exercise, without feeling particularly run down, or anything. If I can do OK in the gym tomorrow.... and not have any major issues for tomorrow, my last of 3 days.... I'm already considering this little experiment quite the success. I don't log super accurately... never felt the need to.... but, if I'm anywhere close to accurate... with the amount of exercise I'm doing lately, I'm close to netting, damn near 0 calories per day.

I'll post a link to the thread, when I make my big long post there.
  • starfuce
    Options
    Hi again everyone!

and thank you sloth3toes for your words of advice, they have helped a lot. I just got my juicer over the weekend and started juicing yesterday. Unfortunately, I had everything planned out last week and then had to go away over the weekend to help my fiance buy/find a car after ours was totaled due to an accident. Because of the stress of all of this and being away for several days, I felt like all of my mental preparedness flew out the window. So yesterday when I started and had my goal of only juice for 40 days, I got really depressed and it didn't help that my first juice tasted really awful. By dinner time, I just decided that it wasn't going to work if I wasn't going into it with the right mindset and wasn't prepared, so I had a light salad for dinner and juiced the rest of the day. Today I am in much higher spirits and am going to ease into it for a while with just a light dinner as the only "meal" instead of going all in at once. It seems a much more reasonable approach that way, and the goal at the end of the day is really just to change to a healthier lifestyle. I am going to just take it one day at a time for now, and when I am ready I will begin the fast at that point. I am happy to have found a message board where everyone is encouraging and helpful and people aren't throwing negativity into the mix. It makes things much better that way. Thanks again, and good luck to all!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    starfuce, I wrote a lengthier post here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1163361-my-experience-with-juicing

about my experience with juicing.....

There is nothing wrong with your approach, and if you find it sustainable for whatever period of time, and it's working for you, then, just keep doing what you are doing. I kind of feel like i need to finish just about every post with my warning.... that you have an exit strategy.... you used one already, when you found that nothing but juice wasn't gonna work, you called an audible, and went to a plan B.