First parkrun

Options
Well I did my first Parkrun this morning, a benchmarking 5K run. Many of the runners where I was also did a second event elsewhere, but not for me this year.

A decent result, 30:50 and whilst I didn't hit my sub 30 target it was miserably wet and muddy, I fell twice and had to stop to tie my shoelaces once. So I'm happy with the outcome.

The only depressing thing was being passed at the 4.5Km mark by someone who had shown up late, but he's done 104 Parkruns.

Replies

• Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That sounds brilliant.. I attended my first parkrun about 11 months ago, but was still not really fit enough to do it, so pulled out at the halfway mark. At the moment, the most I can jog for is about 3mins before dropping down to a brisk walk for a minute, so the 5k takes me at least 45 mins. I am back to training now for a 15 mile cross-country walk/run on March 1st, so hope to raise my fitness level enough to go back to Park runs in February!!
    Well done for turning out on a wild New Year's Day!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Put a few thoughts down about it at

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/aploddingmammal
  • Geckoqueen
    Geckoqueen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That sounds brilliant.. I attended my first parkrun about 11 months ago, but was still not really fit enough to do it, so pulled out at the halfway mark. At the moment, the most I can jog for is about 3mins before dropping down to a brisk walk for a minute, so the 5k takes me at least 45 mins. I am back to training now for a 15 mile cross-country walk/run on March 1st, so hope to raise my fitness level enough to go back to Park runs in February!!
    Well done for turning out on a wild New Year's Day!!
    :flowerforyou:

I hope your walk/run went OK at the start of the month.

I wouldn't let not being able to run the whole thing put you off. I have just done my second Parkrun (1st for a long time). I am in the same situation as you (were), I can't run 5k, so I am building up using Zombie 5K (similar to C25K). The volunteers were OK with this and the others were really encouraging, even as they lapped me. I finished in 50 minutes (its a very hilly route) which I was happy with.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Indeed, yes. I hope it went well.

And congratulations on getting out there and completing.

I haven't actually been back yet, I spent most of January with a horrible cold and barely ran at all, and since then Saturdays are turning into my long run day, so a 5K doesn't work with that. Once I've finished my current improvement programme I'm going to shift my long run to Sundays and get back there.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a go at a Parkrun - just need to lose a bit more weight first!
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've been roped in to do a Race For Life with a friend, and was looking into the Couch to 5K programme, via the NHS website. Has anyone tried that? I'm not actually a counch potato, and do exercisew regularly at the gm, but have always avoided running as it really has never appealed to me!
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Also, what are Parkruns?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    .... via the NHS website. Has anyone tried that?

I used it ten mnths ago and it went well, the music is ok and the verbal coaching is quite good.

As a programme there are a number of ways to implement C25K, with apps and podcasts, but personally I liked the podcast as I could run it alongside Runkeeper.

Parkrun is a weekly 5K run, centrally funded and run by volunteers. I think it's Parkrun.org.uk offhand.
  • drosebud
    Options
    Thanks, that link was fine, and there is one near me. I'll have to give it a bash!
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just to give you guys some perspective. I took up running about 5 years ago as an 18st overweight guy and used to do 5k in about 33 minutes.

Im now under 13st and my last parkrun was clocked at 21 mins so keep on running and keep on losing weight.

less weight = speedier running!

Good luck
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did my first Parkrun last Saturday. I'd never even done the 5k distance before and so was pretty delighted with my time of 34min 46sec.

I'm going to go again tomorrow, and am doing my first ever competitive 5k in Greenwich Park next Saturday.

There were kids beating me at the Parkrun, and somebody was finishing while I just started the second lap! But I was happy with my time, and was proud of myself!
  • ChinoHDT
    ChinoHDT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's a parkrun tomorrow at princess park, liverpool that i've signed up for... knowing my luck i'll proabably get over taken by a granny haha
  • drosebud
    Options
    If it's one of my super-fit friends who is a Granny then you could still be smoking :smile:
  • ohmygod45
    ohmygod45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love c ouch to 5k. I have it on my kindle and run on a treadmill that I bought off eBay. I have always hated running but this app has helped me actually enjoy it! I also put a radio on the kindle at the same time. With 6 stone 3 to loose I am not small but I manage it fine.
  • drosebud
    Options
    Glad to hear it. I've just done the week 1 podcast, and week 2 should be starting tomorrow. I'm quite looking forward to it (surprising myself), more for the new challenge than anything.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I did my first last Saturday! Loved it. Man, some of these runners are competitive. I had to stop a couple of occasions and had a brisk walk but I hope next time seeing I now know the course it will be alot better. I did 35.18. There is room for improvement but I am happy with that for a first attempt.
  • drosebud
    Options
    Oh my, that last post bumped this thread for me, having just posted on another how much I am enjoying running, five months later. Hard to believe that time has gone by so quickly.
    All the local park runs are on a Saturday morning, which clash with another class, so I run at other times, but 5k is the norm for me now.
  • ypnenh
    ypnenh Posts: 5
    Options
    Parkruns are great! Im lucky that my flat mates were also motivated to do some at the start of the yr, running with friends makes it heaps easier. Recently joined a running club, and the support is awesome.

I remeber i struggled to do 1km( about 6mins of jogging) at the start of the year, but with a bit of perseverance it honestly does get easier , the muscles just needs a bit of getting use to it.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have done 4 parkruns so far and going for my 5th tomorrow. It's International Parkrun Day tomorrow all! Go out and show some support.