Welcome New Body, New Year 2014

Options
Welcome! I created this group in hopes that some serious competitors will give me advise on tips and tricks to competing. I'm beginning training not to actually compete, but to get as fit as someone who does compete. The body I'm working for is most often seen in bikini competitions. Help me out, what are your tips? What kind of plan do you follow?

This is the one I'm following to meet my 2014 goals: http://www.simplyshredded.com/national-level-bikini-competitor-fitness-model-amber-day-talks-with-simplyshredded-com-updated-2011.html
The diet example on the website equals, Calories: 975, Carbs: 82g., Fat: 28g., Protien: 103g., Cholest: 241mg., Sodium: 1668 mg., Sugars: 30g., Fiber: 16g.

Mom of 2, 190 lbs. on 1/1/14
Goal: 135 by September 2014

Replies

• Stacey984
    Options
    Hi Rebecca,
    I am currently training for a figure competition (June 2014). I hired a online coach to help me with my meals and routines. I've done some on my own, but even with have the macros from other sites, I struggled with WHAT and WHEN to eat. I am currently following a custom carb cycling plan and have lost an inch in my lower abdomen in one month (up an inch or less in legs, arms). I don't own a scale so not really sure what I weigh. I also started using P90X3 for added cardio and I have been using Body Beast for weight training.

Mom of 2, last weighed 139
    Goal: figure ready by June 2014 (my weight will go up with the added muscle replacing fat).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I created this group in hopes that some serious competitors will give me advise on tips and tricks to competing. I'm beginning training not to actually compete, but to get as fit as someone who does compete. The body I'm working for is most often seen in bikini competitions. Help me out, what are your tips? What kind of plan do you follow?

This is the one I'm following to meet my 2014 goals: http://www.simplyshredded.com/national-level-bikini-competitor-fitness-model-amber-day-talks-with-simplyshredded-com-updated-2011.html
    The diet example on the website equals, Calories: 975, Carbs: 82g., Fat: 28g., Protien: 103g., Cholest: 241mg., Sodium: 1668 mg., Sugars: 30g., Fiber: 16g.

Hi Rebecca

I'm not a bikini competitor anymore - I did one season of comps as a bikini girl before moving to figure.

A few words of advice - the body you see on stage or in magazines is not healthy or sustainable long term. Many women go to extremes to achieve this look for one day, or for a photo shoot.

To compete, even as a bikini girl, you need muscle. You will not achieve muscle by dieting. You need to be lifting heavy weights!

Those macros you're following are ridiculous and dangerous. Dieting to get lean for comps is not that hard, and should not be that restrictive. She has been around for years, and probably struggles to lose fat after being on such restrictive programs (probably including hours of cardio) so thinks cutting macros is her best option.

No. It's not. Please look up Layne Norton. listen to his stuff and read his articles. He has helped hundreds of people, not just competitors, get out of their diet hell. Getting the body you want is not worth your health. You don't need to be so restrictive, and you don't need to do hours of cardio to get in comp shape.

Competing is great, but it's not that great. If I had my time again I probably wouldn't have started! It messes with your brain a lot. I would much rather be happy with my body at a normal healthy size - still lean(ish) with muscle definition- and not expect my ideal to be a stage lean stick insect.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    And me....I might be competing in may, haven't decided yet! Definitely competing in September.

Currently doing a mini cut, but been working with our coach for 3 months to grow - he uses iifym for nutrition and insane training based on PHAT. We don't do cardio. Urgh. I lie - we do 10 minutes a week...
    My husband and I both compete, and train together - it makes life easy! We've both grown a lot since our last comps so it'll be exciting to see what's underneath.
  • hunchakk
    hunchakk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI :) Mom of 2 190 lbs
    I am in the same position you are... how are you making out so far?
    are there any recipes you can share?
  • 4ftheat
    4ftheat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI Mom of 2!

First, I want to say good luck on your journey to your goal! It's hard but worth it.

I just did my first competition late last year. And I did pretty good for the first time! It was a wonderful, yet hard experience. I am currently trying to get my mind (and money :-) right to compete in either June or July. I am working with a trainer who really helped me get my workouts to a level where I saw great results. Honestly, the trainer is a necessity. No matter how much you read and workout on your own, a good trainer will help push you and keep you motivated. I attempted to go it alone but just never saw the results that I have since working with a trainer.

But with all that said, you still really need to educate yourself as much as possible with every aspect of competitions and what it takes to simply get on the stage. There is nothing worse than seeing somebody work hard and diet only to see them on the stage and realize they cannot pose or walk or they do not have the right type suit and shoes.

Here is a great site for more info...

http://www.figureandbikini.org/store/fab-university-bikini-competition-diet-and-exercise-program.html

How are you doing so far?
    4ftheat
  • Stacey984
    Stacey984 Posts: 27
    Options
    Just wanted to update my status. The trainer I was using pretty much dropped me because we were not training in person (I hired her as an online trainer to provide me with my meals and training routines). She became too busy for my questions and I felt like I was not getting anything from her other than a cookie cutter routine and diet plan.

I found another trainer, John Hansen (the first ever natural Mr. Olympia). We have been training 4 days a week in person and when I started with him on April 2d my weight was 142, I will need to get my inches from him, but I was devastated that they were up from before I started with the earlier trainer. I was doing about 2 1/2 hours of workouts 5 days a week - weights and cardio while carb cycling. I am now weight training 4 days, 1 hour sessions and doing 20-40 minutes of HIIT or steady state walking or the stair climber machine on my off-training days with one day of complete rest.

Because I feel I don't want to rush anything I decided to commit to a year of training before going to the stage. My current calories at 1366 with protein 55%, Fat 25%, Carbs 20%. Two days a week I will increase my carbs and adjust my protein/fat accordingly to hit 100% (back/bi's and leg/ab's days need more carbs for me). My meals vary from day to day but ideally they would include egg whites, oatmeal, chicken, broccoli, ground turkey, asparagus, protein powder, CLA, BCAA, a fat burner, a pre-workout and I am going to use a banana with protein powder as my post-workout.

I have a deadline of September 2014 to reach my 'goal body' as that will be my 44th birthday and my boyfriend's son is getting married that month too.

I am a little stage fright but hope that being involved with local shows by attending and meeting others, I will be able to overcome any fear.
  • jwildfit
    jwildfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi Rebecca

I'm not a bikini competitor anymore - I did one season of comps as a bikini girl before moving to figure.

A few words of advice - the body you see on stage or in magazines is not healthy or sustainable long term. Many women go to extremes to achieve this look for one day, or for a photo shoot.

To compete, even as a bikini girl, you need muscle. You will not achieve muscle by dieting. You need to be lifting heavy weights!

Those macros you're following are ridiculous and dangerous. Dieting to get lean for comps is not that hard, and should not be that restrictive. She has been around for years, and probably struggles to lose fat after being on such restrictive programs (probably including hours of cardio) so thinks cutting macros is her best option.

No. It's not. Please look up Layne Norton. listen to his stuff and read his articles. He has helped hundreds of people, not just competitors, get out of their diet hell. Getting the body you want is not worth your health. You don't need to be so restrictive, and you don't need to do hours of cardio to get in comp shape.

Competing is great, but it's not that great. If I had my time again I probably wouldn't have started! It messes with your brain a lot. I would much rather be happy with my body at a normal healthy size - still lean(ish) with muscle definition- and not expect my ideal to be a stage lean stick insect.

^AMEN!!!! I've talked to a few pro's now and my coach, and they all agree that you CANNOT DIET! Bodybuilding, even pro bikini competitors need to EAT! and EAT LOTS! The best thing you can do is focus on getting your protein - at least 1g per lb and eating healthy carbs/fats with it at each meal, eating lots, and training heavy, they same muscle groups every 48-72 hours to see growth. Otherwise watch your lean muscle mass wither away. Dieting is not sustainable, it creates severe metabolic damage and sets you up for horrible rebounds and weight gain. Fuel yourself like at athlete, train at a high intensity and watch your body change. 6 months- 1 year transformation is a lot better than a 3-6 month crash diet. A car burns more fuel with a bigger engine. And you don't make a bigger fire by taking logs off the fire. Our bodies are very smart machines.