Compression socks -- More than a fashion statement?

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
Okay. Look. I guess I am trying to start a friendly argument because I am trying to figure out if I am the only person who does not believe in compression socks.
My wife and I both believe that compression socks gave each one of us a Morton's neuroma -- that pain and numbness and tinging in between the base of your second and third toe. I stopped wearing the socks immediately after that and it has gone away and never come back.
Also, i am not even sure I find the rationale behind them credible. Yes, if I am old, and I have compromised venous return in my lower legs because the valves in my veins are not working well, then compression socks make sense. But, if my leg veins are fine, and I am using my legs muscles vigorously, so that the flexing of those muscles is greatly abetting my venous return, what are the socks doing, really?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    The latest research suggests that the socks do nothing to improve performance but they do aid in recovery by helping blood flow
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    They seem to work for me, and I'll notice more when I don't wear them. I have (chronic) Achilles tendonosis and they give support while running and they seem to help the recovery process. I wear them ALL the time a and I don't care if it looks goofy, b/c I am kind of goofy anyway - can't hide it. If I did not have issues with my Achilles I would probably not wear them.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have my doubts...
    But I just ordered my first pair yesterday. I'm hoping they will help for recovery after my long runs... My calves are killing me for 2 days each week.

Good thing I found a great boxing day sale.

Time will tell I guess!
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    They've helped me during recovery. I got them hoping they'd help my shin splints, but I haven't found them to be beneficial there.

However, they do help recovering after a run. I usually have sore calves the day after a long run. Whenever I wear the compression sleeves to bed I usually don't have a problem.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wear them for recovery and they seem to help
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do not wear them running, but I swear by them for recovery. In fact, pretty much the only time I'm NOT wearing them is when I'm running. I also suffered from Morton's neuroma last year only to have it disappear these past 8-9 months. (Thank god!) That is the most annoying sensation and can be downright painful!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, just to be clear, when you guys wear them for recovery, you wear them after a run, not during?
    Has anybody else heard of the socks causing a Morton's neuroma or Morton's neuroma-like symptoms?
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I was wondering this also. I do have a compression sleeve I use on my left leg to help with shin splints. Hard to tell, because I bought them the same I bought my new shoes.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I've only worn compression sleeves, not socks, so no help with your question re: Morton's neuroma. And I've only worn the sleeves once during a run; didn't notice any difference, but it was just your average long training run, so not really sure I'd notice a big difference. I did wear them after (not during!) my last marathon and can say that I felt like my legs recovered incredibly quickly with minimal soreness, but it's hard to attribute that to the compression sleeves.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I wear compression socks for anything over 10 miles. Never have had an issue and feel like my legs are a lot less stiff and / or in pain when I don't wear them. Also wear them after long runs for recovery (I have a few pairs).