Lincoln Half and Full Marathon 2014

Options
Anyone getting ready for the Marathon in May? What are your thoughts, experiences and advise for other runners on the course. I haven't in it for 5 years.

Thought this could be a great place for inspiration, write about your runs, or find others who are also doing the race.

Replies

• rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Got in again - my second year of running it so not a pile of experience here! As you know - great course, great crowd and the spaghetti feed the night before is pretty cool. I totally ran with the pacers last year. I'm slow but I started with the 2:20 pacer and kept with him and finished at 2:19:57 so they are pretty spot on. Looking forward to doing it again, hopefully closer to the 2:00 mark and I'm also running with the wife (her first) and a buddy so it should just be a fun run!
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to do it under 2:00! Have never ran with the pacers but I was thinking about trying to this year.

Good luck to you, your wife and wife.

I did my first run of the new year, I did it inside, not loving the weather right now.
  • rdennisjr
    Options
    Right there with you...all treadmil time right now which isn't helping my quest for speed but at least it's miles...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I did it last year. It was unseasonably cold in May, but holy crap the Lincoln is the half to do. My first half was the Papillion Half and it sucked. So hilly. The lincoln is very flat. I'm not doing any this year but good luck to you.
  • rdennisjr
    Options
    I looked at the Papillion one as I have ran their race series before (great series by the way) but stuck with the 10k due to the hills 8)

I've also signed up for the Gambler Half Marathon which is in CB the weekend before Lincoln. 3 times as flat as Lincoln (13 foot total elevation difference versus 150 for the Lincoln and 450 for the Papillion.)
  • Surprisegirl
    Surprisegirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the 1/2 marathon...my first. I've done 5K's off and on for a few years and did a 10K several years ago, but this is my first distance run. Needless to say, I'm freaking out a little.
    I found the Hal Higdon training plan online, but was wondering if any of you have any other advice. The cold weather and wind isn't helping the past two months and I don't have a gym membership. Any thoughts (or encouragement) would be welcome!
  • Surprisegirl
    Surprisegirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stopped by the Lincoln Running Company this weekend after blisters laid me up for a few days last week. Learned about good socks and shoes. Like I said before, pretty much a running novice, so any advice or thoughts are welcome.
    Hope everyone's training is going well!
  • rdennisjr
    Options
    carefully building up the miles (not more than about 10% per week) will help with the training injury issues. Good store and getting a good fit of shoes is critical. You're going to spend a bunch of time in them! Keep an idea of how much millage you put into your shoes also - most folks trade them out every 300-600 miles depending on weight and shoe quality and such. I usually feel the shoes start transmitting more shock at about the 350 mile mark for me but I'm bigger than you are!

Hope the training is going well. Just finished 10.5 yesterday, another 10 on Saturday then just keeping pluggin on. Gambler half the weekend before the Lincoln half so we shall see how that goes!
  • Heather68462
    Heather68462 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im running the half. I did it last year, and my goal was 3.5 hours and I did it in: 2:58:32!! I was so, so happy! I have not been training as much this year because Im a fair weather runner and it has been so frickin cold! I hope to keep it at 3 hours.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great run on Sunday, was a beautiful day!
  • rdennisjr
    Options
    What a great race LTC puts on! Just under 2:30 which was a bit slow (typically run about 2:15) but it was my second HM in 7 days so I just ran and enjoyed! Hope it was good for everyone!
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    Options
    I did mine in 2:31, but you are right LTC is awesome and I love all the support at the race.
  • rdennisjr
    Options
    Nicely done Lubrown!