New student nurse looking to get help

Options
Hi there! I'm just starting second year, but found it's REALLY hard to keep up eating healthy on the wards!
I'm vegan too, which makes it even tougher to keep the energy levels up when nearing the end of a 13 hour shift!
Anyone out there got any tips?

Replies

• Travelgal622
    Travelgal622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You need to put yourself first. As nurses we always tend to put ourselves last. You must eat to be healthy and to take care of other at your top game. Take 15 mins at least every 4 fours to eat some pre packed snacks. Almonds, veggies, fruit, cut them in small bite size bites and keep them handy at the nurses desk. Try a pea protein shake with almond milk that will give you some good lean vegan approved protein and help you not to burn your muscles up, instead of fat. We as nurse have to lead by example to our patients! So I guess my advice is put yourself first, plan and take bite size snacks you can eat on the run, drink water ever hour and try to squeeze in a lunch break and a pea protein shake. you will feel better and you will do better in school and for your patients. Good luck my friend!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I agree! It is so hard to eat healthy both when in classes as well as on the floors. Cafeteria food isn't exactly the best choice :)
    If you have access to a fridge or a good lunchbox, pack some cold cuts or fruits or something that will give you enough protein and calories to get you through the day. Drink water any time you can! Although I know that can be hard when on the floors, but while you're in class, keep refilling a thermos.
    I completely understand how hard it is to pre-pack a lunch or even a small snack and how it's so much more convenient to just snag something from the cafe. But your waistline will thank you! :)
  • cfkatie
    cfkatie Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm a paleo zoner, but I pack things from home and eat pretty much all day long. Lots of protein and fats.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree very much with this post. Planning ahead will be your friend, especially when people start bringing in treats (nurses love to feed others). Almonds and some of the things suggested in the post will help you feel full longer and won't leave you sluggish. And you will save money by not eating in the cafeteria during meal times. Teaching yourself this now will help a lot when you become that awesome full-fledged nurse (especially if you end up on nights where I sometimes feel like I snack all night long). And water is always my friend (working toward trying to make it my best friend...). Good luck! :)
  • CRHarrigan
    Options
    I agree with the others: planning is key!

I am finishing up my last year of school (Yahoo only sixteen 12 hour shifts left! Then my nation exam) and found that planning was key for me, both when on the floor and when in class.

I found the following worked for me:
    -Pre make all your meals! I have a freeze full of breakfast (High protein smoothies mostly, easy to eat on the way to class/hospital), lunches (Chicken stir-fry, meat for taco salad, and soup) and dinner (very close to what I eat for lunch, plus some stuff I could throw in the slow cooker). I take one day a week and do enough food to last me, and my future husband for 1-2 weeks!
    -Find simple-healthy snacks you like! I am a fan of apples, oranges, almonds, peanut butter, cashew butter, carrots, hard boiled eggs and air popped popcorn
    -Try to find time to exercise at lest twice a week. I am a runner and ride horses. I make sure to take the time to get two good workout a week. I run 5x a week, but sometimes it is so short that it feels like nothing!
    -Get the sleep you need! My first year I would stay up to all hours of the morning, and then be a zombie the next day. Second year I started going to bed at a decent hour and low and be hold I was alert and awake and had way less cravings!
    -Limit your self when there are treats in the nursing station! I will only allow myself 2 treats...this is by far the hardest to do!
    -I do not normally eat a full meal on back shift. I will take a couple of snacks, something small for each break but will not have a full sized meal overnight. If I feel like I am fading I try to get moving more or go outside for some fresh air.
    -Water is your best friend!

You will find something that will work for you!
    Good luck!