Post workout - simple vs complex carbs

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
This is where I really get confused. I've read arguments for both sides but surely they can't both be equally correct.
Post workout, is it better to have simple or complex carbs?

I know the basics that during training, particularly an intense session like crossfit, our bodies deplete their glycogen stores and these need to be replenished for better recovery, energy, etc. But I'm struggling to figure out which is the best route.

Currently, I focus on complex carbs pre-workout, and simple carbs immediately post-workout.
What that usually looks like is this:
I train at 9am 5-6 days per week, so I will usually have a banana and some greek yoghurt around 8am and then a protein shake and 250ml fruit juice (no added sugar, etc) immediately after.
I also train in the late afternoon/evening 3-4 days per week, so if it's been less than 1.5 hours since lunch and my lunch included starchy carbs I won't eat anything extra before training (this doesn't happen often) but if it's been more than a couple hours then I'll have a banana, sometimes with some peanut butter or something, 45-60 mins before and then the same protein and fruit juice straight after.
When I train in the morning, I will have some complex carbs (sweet potato, oats, etc) an hour or two after training when I get hungry, but when I train later in the day I usually just load up on veggies (with normal protein and fat) for dinner, which is 1-2 hours after training.

Have I got it all wrong??
Should I cut out the simple carbs (fruit/fruit juice) and just focus on complex/starchy carbs before and after training? The only reason I started having the fruit juice after training is because I was told that the body needs simple carbs to be able to quickly replenish glycogen stores, in the same way that it needs a quick and digestible source of protein for muscle repair...

I'm starting to second guess my methods, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

PS - before anyone jumps on the fact that banana is a fruit and is more simple carbs than complex, I've done some research and found that the more ripe a banana is, the more 'simple' it is. I don't like ripe bananas and only really eat them when the tips are still a little green, so at that stage I believe they are more complex...

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I would ignore all the various conflicting information and just go with simple trial and error. Try various post workout options and figure out what makes YOU feel the best and stick with that. The human body is an amazing machine and if you listen it will tell you exactly what it needs for fuel.