Cindyinpg
Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
9f09d30b-263e-4a70-b57f-196529f71a59_zps9d57b536.jpg
Discussion Board For Team Rick

Replies

• colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In for Team Rick! Man, this was a hard decision because I love so many of the characters. I took almost a week to pick a team, lol! In the end I picked Rick, because I find him one of the most interesting people on the show, and I've loved watching his evolution/devolution as a character.

Pros for Team Rick:
    As the main character in the books and TV show, we are likely safe from joining the Horde!
    We are a seasoned bad-a** and walker killer, so we're likely to gain many points in each show (especially now that we've reached the point of being more okay with killing human enemies).

Cons for Team Rick:
    We may still be a little crazy (especially if our baby is really dead).

For those of you who didn't make it through all of the instructions, or somehow missed this aspect of the challenge, this is a "advanced" group. As far as I can tell, this means 240 minutes of cardio per week, compared with the 210 minutes for the intermediate groups (eg Glenn/Maggie, Carol) and 180 minutes for the beginner groups (eg Beth, Bob). Also, the weekly challenges will be more difficult. Beginning weight/resistance training and food intake expectations are the same across all group levels.
  • spaceygrl
    Options
    Hi colibri23! I am going to admit that 240 min is going to be hard for me, but I am hoping a team challenge like this will keep me on track and engaged! Go Team Rick!
  • colibri23
    Options
    240 minutes of cardio is definitely going to be hard, but we're in this together! I'm glad you're deciding to challenge yourself!! Pleased to see you on Team Rick :happy: (I also love your profile picture haha!)
  • drsusana
    drsusana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be on Team Rick....never watched the show but will start with this challenge. I really need to kick it into high gear in February so this should be good for me!
  • colibri23
    Options
    Welcome to the team, drsusana! It'll be useful to have a doctor during the zombie apocalypse :wink: Can't wait to do the challenges with you and the other teammates.
  • matt91587
    matt91587 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a go for team Rick. Huge walking dead fan seen every episode. This seems like a awesome idea, and a great way to keep everyone on track. I'm glad I joined and am excited to start. Go team Rick and remember "this isn't a democracy, this is a Ricktatorship"
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    I'm down for this, should be fun stuff. Everything in the challenge is either something I already do or something I want to do anyway.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is April. I'm a huge WD fan. I actually missed the first season but had heard so much about it from friends that I watched the season 1 marathon prior to the commencement of season 2 and loved it. I was hooked from the first episode. Picking a team has been tough, but I'm going to have to go with Team Rick. He is hands down my favorite character and was the one who sucked me in to the show. I was a little concerned about getting in over my head but this is a challenge, it is meant to be challenging!
  • colibri23
    Options
    Welcome to the team everyone! For those who have seen it all, does anyone have a favorite episode? It's a tough call for me, but one of my favorites was "Internment" from the newest season. A great mixture of action/character development--Hershel <3

matt--I was so hoping that someone would say that!! It's what I told my friends when I explained this challenge haha.

christopher--glad this challenge can be a jumping off point to start doing some of those things that you had wanted to try! I'm looking forward to incorporating new strength training activities myself.

april--happy you went with Team Rick! We grow the most when we challenge ourselves---I'm sure you'll get some great results with this challenge.
  • drsusana
    drsusana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I signed up for "Expert" without really thinking about it. Luckily, I just did the math and it's only 35 minutes of cardio a day! THAT I can do! Whew. When does all this start anyways?
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I signed up for "Expert" without really thinking about it. Luckily, I just did the math and it's only 35 minutes of cardio a day! THAT I can do! Whew. When does all this start anyways?
    Today is the official start. The challenge board is here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162863-walking-dead-team-rick

Next Sunday, watch the show and root for Rick to kill as many Walkers and living enemies as possible, because his points will be added into ours next Monday when we start Week 2.

This week we're starting with NO points because Rick made no kills the last episode. Daryl made 9 points for his team, so we'll have to work to overcome that disadvantage. Don't read this if you didn't see the finale last Dec.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162909-episode-recap-season-4-part-1-finale
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I chose Team Rick as my team. I think he will get lots of air time and make lots of points regardless of his emotional status. And I truly believe Judith is still alive.

Even though Daryl and Michonne are going to be heavy competition, I am thinking that Carl and Mika and Lizzie are gong to be real badasses. We're going to have to keep an eye on them.:wink:
    Options
    My local gym doesn't have a punching bag, so I made one out of my old military seabag just for this challenge. I hope everyone here is ready to kick some *kitten*; Daryl is too handsome to win this!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    So, how was everyone's first day. I've been a little sloppy lately with my cardio, my lifting and my intake, so I really needed this! Today I didn't get a chance to work out yet, but I might get on my exercise bike before midnight and my calorie gals are bang on. Tomorrow is a lifting day!
    Options
    Everyone on the team should have received a message from me by now; if you didn't get one, please let me know!
    So, how was everyone's first day.

A whopping 40 minutes of cardio, including some time on the punching bag while pretending it was a zombie and/or Daryl, and an hour-ish of strength training. My cardio was actually lighter than usual, I normally do 60 minutes on the elliptical machine alone.

I COULD do more before I go to bed in an hour.... or I could be lazy. It's a hard choice.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been lazy on the cardio lately so I really needed this, 30 minutes on the elliptical last night was a good start.

Good idea with the punching bag. I might try it if I could figure out how to mount it.
    Options
    Since two of you have already asked me about logging strength training times with MFP (since there's no "time" entry for it where you enter your set and rep information), I'm just going to paste my response here in case anyone else was wondering the same thing but didn't want to ask me.

While there is a separate section for Strength Training in the Exercise section, that's just for you to record your sets, reps, etc. You can log the amount of time by going to enter a new Cardio exercise and then picking "Strength Training" from the list. This lets you enter a time and will also give you a rough estimate of your calories burnt, which you can use unless you have a more accurate system (in which case just delete the calories and enter your own total).

The only downside to this is that since it's technically under the Cardio section, it'll count that time as part of your Cardio total for the day. For example, in my log for yesterday, I spent forty minutes doing cardio and thirty lifting weights, but it says I did 70 minutes of cardio. For the Walking Dead competition numbers, feel free to record it somewhere else in more detail (I just have a Notepad file on my computer desktop called "strengthtraining.txt" where I keep all of my records) and send me that at the end of the week. I know that the MFP tracker has some limitations, so if the numbers you give me and the numbers on your daily logs don't add up, I'm going to assume that yours are accurate.

Good idea with the punching bag. I might try it if I could figure out how to mount it.

Mine is about as jury-rigged as they come; I have the bag sitting in an office chair, on top of a box so it's the appropriate height, with the seabag straps and one of my old belts going around the bag and the back of the chair so it can't fall off. It's the most haphazard-looking contraption I've ever seen, but it works well enough to practice with.
  • colibri23
    Options
    Hi team! Yesterday I walked to/from work (nothing out of the ordinary for me), did Jillian Michaels' cardio kickboxing and a few minutes of indoor biking. On another, non-fitness but totally walking dead related note, I went to a shooting range on Sunday and tried out a gun for the first time. It was looouuud!! But lots of fun. Today I'm going to do some P90x after walking home from work, and I'll be thinking of my teammates if/when I feel like quitting to keep me going!! Happy Tuesday.
    Options
    I'm mostly doing strength training today; I'll throw in some time with the punching bag later tonight so I at least have some actual cardio for the day.

What were you using at the range? I've been a shooting hobbyist for just shy of 20 years. If it's excessively loud, just double up on hearing protection (both the foam earplugs and the over-the-ear muffs). Not even the 25mm I used in the fleet seemed loud with those on.
  • colibri23
    Options
    What were you using at the range? I've been a shooting hobbyist for just shy of 20 years. If it's excessively loud, just double up on hearing protection (both the foam earplugs and the over-the-ear muffs). Not even the 25mm I used in the fleet seemed loud with those on.

I shot a 9mm beretta. That was loud, but other people on the range were shooting off other guns (I'm not sure what) that were reeeeally loud. When I walked in I was really shocked by how loud it was, and it took me a while to not flinch every time something went off haha.

I just got done with the Plyometrics day of P90x and my goodness it was killer!!! I feel proud that I went all the way through with minimal modifications and no stopping. Yay team rick!