Great and healthy meals you or/and your spouse made!

Options
If it was delicious and healthy, we want to hear about it and where you found it. Nutritional info helps to.

Replies

• CaptRon21
    Options
    Made American Diabetics Association - Tangy Apricot-Glazed Pork Tenderloin. Simple, quick and tasty. Just Google it and you can find the recipe. Nutrition info is already loaded in mfp. Coupled that with Earthly Choice easy Quinoa garden vegetable and broccoli. Freakin awesome!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Your dinner tonight sounded awesome !!! One of my faves is Honey Balsamic glazed chicken. Should be able to google it too!!
  • CaptRon21
    Options
    Eat Nuts, Live Longer?

Pick a nut. Any nut. From pistachios to pecans, popping a handful every day is enough to fend off death, shows a comprehensive study from Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and the Harvard School of Public Health.

After tracking the diets and health outcomes of more than 100,000 people for three decades, the study team found those who tossed back roughly 1 ounce of nuts each day were 20 percent less likely to die during the 30-year study period. Breaking down those findings, nut eaters were 29 percent less likely to die from heart disease. And, somewhat surprisingly, those who ate nuts regularly were actually slimmer than those who did not, the research shows. (Protect your body's most important muscle with these tips to Strengthen Your Heart In 30 Days.)
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of diabetic friendly cookbooks that have awesome recipes! They taste really good. My favorite are the crockpot ones. Let me know if you are interested in knowing any of the recipes.
  • CaptRon21
    Options
    Thanks, I may take you up on that offer. I have one that I got from shopdiabetes.com called
    Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking, 2nd Edition. It has a weeks worth of daily meals for every week of the year. It also includes a weekly shopping list so you know exactly what to buy. Eat healthy and save money!
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great book. I will check it out. Thanks!
  • CaptRon21
    Options
    Used a combination of two recipes for fish taco's tonight, they were awesome!

Prepare the fish using Alton Brown's recipe
    3 cloves garlic
    1 cup packed cilantro leaves
    2 limes, zested
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup tequila
    1 pound tilapia fillets

Put the garlic, cilantro, lime zest, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small food processor bowl and pulse until combined, approximately 20 seconds. With the processor running, add the tequila. Put the tilapia fillets into a 1 gallon resealable bag, add the garlic mixture and move around to coat each fillet. Set aside at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.

Then skinnytaste.com to cook (do not add the garlic & cilantro, it's used above)

1 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely minced
    2 jalapeño peppers, chopped (seeds removed for less heat)
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    3 tbsp lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    8 5-inch white corn tortillas
    1 medium haas avocado, sliced
    lime wedges and cilantro for garnish

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Sauté onion until translucent, then add garlic. Mix well.
    Place tilapia on the skillet and cook until the flesh starts to flake. Add jalapeño peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, breaking up the fish with the spoon to get everything mixed well; season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, heat tortillas on a skillet a few minutes on each side to warm (no oil needed). Serve a little over 1/4 cup of fish on each warmed tortillas with a slice or 2 of avocado and enjoy!

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 tacos • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 319 • Fat: 12 g • Protein: 26.5 g • Carb: 33.7 g • Fiber: 9.7 g • Sugar: 3.6 g
    Sodium: 76.2 mg (without salt)