How Do You Answer Nosy Questions?

Options
2»

Replies

• belledebut
    Options
    What I hate the most is the fake concern for my well-being. You don't care if Im ok. You just want the tea. LOL I'm not here for it. I had my first coworker come up to me and ask my what did I have surgery on since I was out for two weeks.

First of all, that is HIGHLY inappropriate to ask and secondly, I must be honest, I didnt tell the whole truth. Then she walks away and walks back and says "Hey you look like youve lost some weight, keep that up"..... I side-eyed her for the rest of the day. LOL. We aren't close. She doesnt even know my name. It wasnt her business to know.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What I hate the most is the fake concern for my well-being. You don't care if Im ok. You just want the tea. LOL I'm not here for it. I had my first coworker come up to me and ask my what did I have surgery on since I was out for two weeks.

First of all, that is HIGHLY inappropriate to ask and secondly, I must be honest, I didnt tell the whole truth. Then she walks away and walks back and says "Hey you look like youve lost some weight, keep that up"..... I side-eyed her for the rest of the day. LOL. We aren't close. She doesnt even know my name. It wasnt her business to know.

Tell her you're having a sex change operation LOL

(I know, probably not politically correct, but i'm feeling particularly snarky today lol)
  • clhensley75
    Options
    Love, love, love those responses!
  • dsagel
    dsagel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My answer to those people I don't know well enough....It isn't really a diet but portion control and exercise play a big part in what I am doing. That usually provides them with enough information so they realize it is not something they want to know more about...lol.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I also didn't tell many people. Just the closest people to me. It am under no obligation to tell anyone, and it is my choice to keep it to myself and small circle of supporters.

I have had people start to notice and some ask what "my secret" is. I say that I am eating smaller meals more times a day, eating a high protein/lower carb diet, and exercising. I admit, I do feel a little deceptive by not disclosing that I've had surgery, BUT it really is my choice to tell or not to tell. One wouldn't be obligated to tell people they had any other medical procedure whether it's an elective procedure or not, would they? Exactly!
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, no one has asked me about my weight loss other than those who already know. Maybe its because I'm early out still?

I told a LOT of people, mostly because I was excited and I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I also work with only 23 other people many of whom had to cover my shifts while I was on SL. I'm not sure how many of my co-workers actually knew, but I've told at least 5 people: 2 of whom are my good friends, another 1 whom I've bemoaned many time about being fat, and another 1 who asked a lot of health problems of their own and asked me was I okay because they say I was out for two week on SL (I'm single and live alone and she was concerned that I was having some medical procedure and would be alone).

My immediate family knows, I think I told two of my close cousins (we all struggle with obesity, and it was me getting a breast reduction a few years ago that prompted one of them to do it as well), an aunt and uncle who live relatively near by, my best friend who came up to stay with me after surgery. I imagine I would mention it to my extended family if it came up, but I'm not sure how they would take it. Despite the fact that all of them are obese, have multiple medical conditions, and we've lost a number of people to disease.

From my family's point of view, its not about "cheating" but the concern that you are "altering what God gave you" to achieve weight loss. I wonder what they think about all the man-made chemicals that they take to function?
  • kayc6670
    kayc6670 Posts: 13
    Options
    ditto! good answer :smile:
  • Mbdb131
    Mbdb131 Posts: 13
    Options
    you sound like me, lol. I have been researching the sleeve for about 2 years. Im always on the fence about getting it done, im mostly scared of leaks and I alway worry about any long term problems that The drs might not be aware just yet. anyway, i wish you lots of luck. Im also in the process of testing too.