Meal plan for breastfeeding mom wanting to lose weight

Options
Hi all! I'm a new second time mom to an 11 week old. I'm hoping to lose the last 20-25 pounds of pregnancy weight by April 2014. Unfortunately these last 20 are not coming off. I'm exclusively breast feeding so I know some of that weight is due to maintaining my supply. I'm having a hard time sticking to my 1900 calories a day (that's my calorie intake prior to adding in breastfeeding). For those of you who have seen some progress while breastfeeding, what is a typical daily meal menu like?

Replies

• myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My baby is 5 months and still exclusively bf. I just started logging again recently so I don't know if it is working but I set my goal for 2000 calories and don't log the breastfeeding. You are welcome to be my friend and view my food diary. I plan to taper down calories as she starts eating solids. I also plan to start exercise again this week and log it.
  • keeldrum
    keeldrum Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi girls, I know its a while since you posted this, but I seem to be having some success with my eating plans having lost 11 lbs since January with exclusive breastfeeding. If you add me as a friend you can take a look at my planners for ideas.
    I've been sticking to 1750 calories plus 500 for breastfeeding...and eating all my allowance.
    I hope this helps.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    My baby arrived just under three weeks ago and I've successfully lost all my pregnancy weight. I did this by setting my calorie goals to lose half a pound a week and not allowing for breast feeding (baby barely eats anything in the first few weeks so I'd suggest that rather than adding 500 calories for breast feeding from day one, start lower and build up to 500 over three or four months). I have just changed my target to maintenance calories and am still not allowing for breast feeding - I will add extra calories slowly if I continue to lose (I'm pretty much at the weight I want to be).

A disclaimer: I'm one of the lucky girls who produces good quality milk - bubs was back up at her birth weight on day four and is piling on the pounds. If you cut calories and your milk quality or quantity declines, up them again and delay the weightless until baby is weaned.

One final tip, newborns and sleep deprivation go hand in hand, when you're exhausted your body craves food to up your energy levels, so it's really easy to overeat. My current mantra is: you're not hungry, you're tired. Skip the snack and take a nap.

Good luck. My diary is open so feel free to take a look.