Hello from Avon!

Options
(copied from the general "Intorduce Yourself" forum.)

Hello everyone, I just joined here a couple of days ago.

I retired at age 56, and have found myself sitting more than I expected or want to. Motivation has always been a problem, and it is easy to do nothing.

I used to ride bikes and hike a *lot*, but now only occasionally. In September I bought a used mountain bike to get back in the groove. After we get the Christmas decorations put away, I'm getting the Nordic Track out that's been setting unused for 10-12 years.

In the summer we grow a vegetable garden, and I try to eat smart, and have small portions. But then there's something really good, and you just can't not have a bit more...

I have hypertension, and am apparently pre-diabetic according to my overly alarmist MD. Time to lose weight and get back in shape. I've lost 7 pounds prior to finding MFP, so that's a start. I used some Christmas gift cards and ordered a Withings Pulse, scale, and blood pressure set. That'll make it easier to keep track of how I'm improving, or not. I think I have the Withings HealthMate site, MFP, and RunKeeper sync'd (I'm switching from Map My Walk to RunKeeper to keep track of walking for exercise.)

So, that's a little about me. I'm glad I found MFP!
Slo

Replies

• tayjenks08
    tayjenks08 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome and goodluck!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Welcome, fom Brunswick!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Welcome. From Wadsworth. My goal this summer is to ride the Emerald Necklace and continue into Avon and Lorain along the lakeshore (US 6)
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Phil: I rode the south and west portion of Emerald Necklace many times in the '90s. I like the Rocky River to Berea portion best. Especially when it has rained a lot and the center portion is closed at the fords. No car traffic! You'd be going through Avon Lake to our north when riding along Lake Road. That's a pretty ride.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    welcome from Lorain!
  • Phildog47
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Phil: I rode the south and west portion of Emerald Necklace many times in the '90s. I like the Rocky River to Berea portion best. Especially when it has rained a lot and the center portion is closed at the fords. No car traffic! You'd be going through Avon Lake to our north when riding along Lake Road. That's a pretty ride.

Thanks for the info... it's definitely on my bucket list this year!
  • slocyclist
    Options
    copied from my home page entries.

Well, I had an exciting week!

Back before Christmas I had my first ever stress test. My MD was concerned enough about the results that he insisted I see a cardiologist. My appointment was this past Tuesday, and after reviewing my tests, he scheduled a heart catheterization on Thursday. While in there, he found that the artery on the back of the heart was 90% blocked. He did a angioplasty and put in a stent.

Needless to say, I was shocked! I've never had any chest pain, nor shortness of breath other than what might be expected due to being out of shape. This has redoubled my motivation to exercise more (err, at all...) and lose weight.

I changed my target weight goal from 165 to 160 by my 61st birthday on September 18. I was 183 when I started MFP on January 1, and 189 mid-September. I was at 179 this morning.

I have my first rehab next Monday, and can't wait to get started!
    Slo
  • slocyclist
    Options
    w00t! I lost 12 pounds during the month of January, and 17 pounds total since I decided to get off my *kitten* in September!
  • jasony0423
    jasony0423 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome from north ridgeville. I just found mfp myself, it's good to see other people from the area.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Thanks Jason,

I replied in your introductory thread.
  • Phildog47
    Options
    slocyclist, glad the doctors found that out! Keep on losing!
  • slocyclist
    Options
    slocyclist, glad the doctors found that out! Keep on losing!

Me too! :smile: Thanks!
  • slocyclist
    Options
    copied from my home page entry.

I'm under 170 pounds for the first time in 20-25 years! I just went in and added my original starting weight of 189 pounds on my 60th birthday back in September, and lowered my goal from 160 pounds to 150 pounds by my next birthday. Thanks for the support, folks!

Slo
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Officially 25 pounds lost in six months! Thanks for the support, folks!
  • jbm20607
    jbm20607 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi from Rocky River! I am 66 and not retired. Would not know what to do with the time. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    Thanks, and welcome to MyFitnessPal.

I'm sure that you've heard the old adage that now that you're retired you don't have time to do everything. That certain rings true, and we keep pretty busy. Having a 17 year old still at home keeps us busy, too.
  • slocyclist
    Options
    30 Pounds!!!!!!!! Met my original goal of 160 a couple of days ago, but changed it back in February to 150 pounds. So nine to go! Thanks for all the support!
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    Woohoo! I've reached my goal of 150 pounds, down from 189 in September!!!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I've reached my goal of 150 pounds, down from 189 in September!!!

Congrats!!
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    Thank you! I feel so much better with the weight loss and the much higher level of activity. Last September at my 60th birthday I was an overweight couch potato. Now I'm doing Phase 3 cardiac rehab and weight machines three times a week, riding bicycles daily, walking with my wife, and we just bought kayaks for even more activity.

I feel fantastic!
    Slo