marathon training plan

Options
I'm looking for a 10-12 week marathon training plan. marathon would be may 3rd with a 1/2 feb 23. That time frame as I have one Jan 19. I would like to attempt a bit more speedwork this time around. The plan i was going to use was an 18 week plan but if i shortened the plan for that time frame it already would have my long run up to 18 miles. Just seems like too much to soon if i really want my focus to be able to ramp of my speed for the next one. thanks for any input.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What does your training look like right now? What is your total weekly milage? How many days per week do you run? What is your marathon PR? What are your PR's for 5K and the HM?
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Roughly 30ish miles. Training is kinda sucky, did some back to back races so been recovery/taper mode a lot versus actual training for performance. Average 4 days a week. Marathon PR is 5:11 half PR 2:25, so i have a lot of room for improvement. I've never done a timed 5k, just color vibe.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Based on where you currently are in your training, what you current weekly mileage is and the times you have run in the past, you would benefit a lot more from additional mileage than you would doing any speed work. I think 50-60 miles per week is optimum for the most basic level of performance in the marathon. This is consistent with the guideline that your long run shouldn't exceed 1/3 of your total weekly mileage. If you are doing a 20 mile long run, then your weekly mileage should really be close to 60 miles per week.

What I would do if I were you, is work on running an additional day (or days) each week, increase overall total weekly mileage and add speed work in the form of fast finish long runs, where you do the last 1/3 to 1/2 of your long run at your marathon pace. Right now, this is probably only 15 to 30 seconds per mile faster than your easy run pace, but it will make a difference. I don't see the need to do anything more than that to improve your performance from where you are now.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Carson. If you can't add an extra day maybe there are days you can run twice