Any XBMC users here?

Options
I'd heard of XBMC, but never really looked into using it. I think it may be worth installing on my Gentoo Linux workstation for streaming media to our mobile devices.

Does anyone here use it? If so, how has it worked out for you?

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm a HTPC guy. I've tried an earlier version of XBMC but wasn't impressed. I don't have an XBox so there's not much synergy for me. I like MediaPortal for the Third Party plugins and skins. When I get some time, i want to play with the emulator plugins so I can run some old school games on it.

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

I am not running Linux only because I'm royally annoyed with the hardware drivers. I'm running off of Win7 but I was running on WinXP before (no real difference). Running it on a Win environment means that all I need to do is make drive mappings or use simple Windows file sharing to get at media content.

For your HTPC box, you might want to consider also installing ORB on your machine. It's fantastic for broadcasting your files outside of your home network.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. Message me if you have any questions.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been using XBMC since the days it was on my modded Xbox 1. (not One. You know what I mean).

Currently using it on my OUYA. And an old jailbroken iPad.

I *love* it. I have probably logged more hours on XBMC than any other app I own.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information.

Yeah Tom, linux can be a pain, but right now this box is the fastest in the house, so it would probably be best to run XBMC on it. My wife does have an older Dell that might work, for use with Windows apps; I'll check out mediaportal and orb, and see if they seem suitable for it.

Good to that you have enjoyed it Ftw37. XBMC seems to have a lot of cool feature, so I want to at least it give it a try.

I might spin up a vm, and see how it performs there first.