Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Speed of weight loss

stormytea
stormytea Posts: 13 Member
Hi Ladies,
First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to this group. I am 6'0" and 200 lbs. I am so excited to be on this journey and to have access to an entire community of like-minded people.

I am curious to know how many pounds a week other women on this forum aim to lose. I originally started at 1 lb./week, but I feel like maybe .5 is more reasonable. What I am afraid of is starting off too extreme, and then becoming frustrated and gaining it all back. I have just started out on this journey, so perhaps some more seasoned members (and newbies as well) can share their experience as well.

I appreciate any input anyone may have. Feel free to add me as well, the more support we can give each other, the better!

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    I'm basically maintaining my weight these days (although I am trying to lose the couple of holiday lbs I gained!) but I lost 120 lbs over 5 years. I believe losing it slow and steady is what helped me maintain it for over 2 years now. I NEVER felt deprived or like I was on some crazy diet but getting myself healthy slowly was the best thing I have ever done.
  • stormytea
    It's so funny... I am a 2nd grade teacher, and this week we are doing fables. Just today, I taught my students the expression "slow and steady wins the race." I guess I teach what I need to learn sometimes :)
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 232 Member
    I'm 6 ft and started at 108 kilo/ 238lbs. When I started a little over ta year ago I was doing cardio and lifting weights + watching what I eat. Within the first 5 months I lost about 10 kilo's (22 lbs) Not spectacularly fast, but I did loose quite a few inches. But the best thing was that I could go on hikes and not be winded! I was still too big to buy anything off the rack, but that's always been tough. Somewhere along the line I lost my motivation. A lot of things going on blah blah blah. Anyhow, now I'm at 105 again (231lbs) and finding it hard to get myself motivated again. The eating healthy thing isn't hard since apparently I've acquired a number of food allergies, but portion control is hard for me.

So I definitely go with slow and steady, it has to be a lifestyle that is sustainable for you to continue following for the rest of your life. I'm still searching. :)
  • stormytea
    Thanks for your reply! The difference between yesterday and today is amazing. Yesterday, my weight loss was set to 1 lb/week. I changed it to .5 lb/week when I realized I was hungry all the time. Today has been much better. I feel satiated after meals, and I have more energy. I definitely think slow and steady is the way to go :)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    I keep getting an email teasing "the best exercise for weight loss..." and you have to click on a link. When you open it- the answer is the exercise that you find enjoyable and look forward to doing- whatever that may be. I think it's like that for weight loss. If you're always hungry at the 1#/week of weight loss, you're probably not going to stick with it for long. Who wants to be hungry all the time? But if you find yourself satisfied at the 0.5#/week- by all means- stay at that calorie goal!

Edited to add: I'm 5'11. In mid 2011, I started this "journey". It took me a year, and I lost 42# at a 1#/week weight setting. I upped the ante to 1.5#/week for the last 10 pounds I wanted to lose... got frustrated when I was always going over my calories. So- I quit measuring my food and being honest with my food intake, so I wouldn't always be in the red. As a result, I gained back 10 pounds over the past year and a half. This year, I'm determined to be honest with myself (and MFPals) to get down to my goal weight.

My best advice- be honest with yourself about what you're doing- and what you're willing to do!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    I am 6ft and previous weight was 75-77kg and I am currently 69-70kg but have but on a significant amount of muscle.

I was a cardio junkie prior and early last year starting lifting weights and that's when I saw results.

I have a strict routine with my diet and my gym regime.