GREEN TEAM-WEEK 13-A New Year A New You

tambam72
tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
Good Evening Ladies:
How did everyone enjoy the show? I actually loved tonight's show. They touched on a lot of great themes as to why we chose not to lose weight and yes ladies we chose it whether you lose or gain, it is about choices!! I so related to Rachel when she talked about why she overate. First it was because she was lonely, then because she was overweight, and finally because food was her friend. Many of us have gone through painful situations in our life and instead of dealing with the pain and the demons that were left, we chose to eat our worries away. It is no different than alcoholics turning to booze or a drug addict feeding his habit, we just choose to feed it in a different way. What we have to face is why? Why do we think that we do not deserve to be healthy? What demons do we have to face? Why do we go so far (lose 10,20,50 lbs) and then fall right back into our old habits? These are some questions, i would like you to ask yourself this week. You can either share your thoughts with us or just write them down, look at them and decide is it time to face the issues and move on or are you just not ready?
For me, it took having my heart completely broken until I felt dead inside that made me realize that I had to change. When I was 3, I was taken away from my biological family from child protective services. A lady came to our house and told me she was taking me for ice cream and never brought me home, I went through multiple foster homes in the first year of being in care where I was abused in ways children shouldn't be abused. I have a scar on my face where one foster parent hit me with a wire clothes hanger. Needless to say, this has affected my entire life. I trust noone but myself. I am always waiting for the person to leave and I push and push until they do, then I blame why they did on everything else. When I was really overweight, it was perfect excuse to say they left or cheated because I was so fat, when in reality it was because I was pushing them away. I am working on this, but it is difficult. When you have been hurt, it is hard to trust anyone to include yourself. These are my demons and yes just like any other addict, I fight hard every day not to slip.
I think for the challenge this week, we better be prepared to get some lifting in and I see flights of stairs in our near future. I will be posting what the official challenge is tomorrow after it is posted.
Finally, I am going to steal a quote from Matt, "YOU CAN MAKE EXCUSES OR YOU CAN GET THE JOB DONE!"
Have a great night everyone!! Just a note as a team we have lost 9.6lbs from last weigh in. I think it is possible to see that number double this week. Get in the game and get burning!!

*****GO GREEN TEAM GO***************************

Tammie
(Your crazy who fights her own demons coach)

Replies

• tambam72
    Ok ladies..where are you all? I did wacky Wednesday today..trying to mix up the routine a little. Instead of hitting the gym, I did 60 minutes of Zumba and 60 minutes of Rockin' Body..both very good workouts, together awesome!! There's no official thread yet, so I do not have an official challenge. I will hopefully have something tomorrow,. Have a great night!!

Tammie
  • jfea
    jfea Posts: 31 Member
    Okay this is terrible, but I didn't even know Biggest Loser was on last night, I didn't think to watch it!! Wow where am I!?! I started teaching a J-term course to today. I teach one class for 3 hours every week day for the month of January. It is a lot of material to come up with every day so my stress level is pretty high right now and I am full of "excuses" why I don't have time for exercise!

SO you have quite a story! Often people don't see the resilience in themselves but you definitely have it!! The easy part is recognizing our issues the hard part is working on them! For me I am a total stress eater, I grew up in a very intense driven family and we were always supposed to be doing something productive and "worthwhile" so we didn't have the concept of relaxing. We didn't have a TV so were always supposed to be "working" on something or getting something done. I would sneak food as a quick easy reward (no time for anything else) and that has become a lifelong pattern. I eat when I am stressed because it is a quick reward that doesn't take too much time. When in reality, exercise and spending fun time with family would be much longer lasting solutions to stress- I just don't do that. Somehow I don't think I deserve to have time for myself to do something I want to do rather than something I should do. I guilt myself all the time for not getting enough done - it is a vicious cycle. Your quote about making excuses seems very appropriate here!

Is the challenge still going on, or are we sort of on our own now? No matter, this has been a good thing for me!!

Joy
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    Thanks for sharing Tammie and Joy, you are two very strong women and I know with your determintaion you will definitely reach your goals.

So below is my why, my apolgoies if this is an overshare...but felt good to get it out on paper.

My unhealthy relationship with food started in highschool when my mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, she was diagnosed because she lost the ability to speak (would only say random words or sounds, but couldn't form sentences...this is actually really common for MS patients to not know they have it until they go temporarily blind, paralyzed, etc.) Anyway after several weeks of testing we found out that she had MS , but was steadily declining in health and she decided to start traveling with her job while she still could.
    So one day my mom is home sick in the bed, next day gone, only home for a few days a month. All of my family's attention was focused on her and I started acting out...skipping school (once I turned 16, my parents thought I was too old for a curfew so some nights just didn't come home at all) and developed a pretty significant eating disorder. Lost about 40 lbs in a few months (when I wasn't even overweight to begin with) and got down to about 85-90 lbs, started failing classes and no one in my family noticed or cared. Never even discussed my weight loss or mention when I would come home drunk or on drugs. So after two years of acting out with no obvious concern from my parents I decided to quit drinking and doing drugs, started pulling my grades up, and tried to get my eating disorder under control. As soon I graduated from high school I moved to go to college a few hours away. When my boyfriend of 2 years in college broke my heart, it's like a switch flipped in my brain in the other direction and I started eating to numb the pain. I think those two scenarios still contribute to my eating to this day, I do it to fill a void and when I feel alone. Trying to lose weight has become even more difficult for me beause everytime I get into a good pattern I start worrying that I am restricting too much and will develop an eating disorder again so then I binge eat. Ugh, horrible cycle!!
  • tambam72
    Thanks for sharing Tammie and Joy, you are two very strong women and I know with your determintaion you will definitely reach your goals.

So below is my why, my apolgoies if this is an overshare...but felt good to get it out on paper.

My unhealthy relationship with food started in highschool when my mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, she was diagnosed because she lost the ability to speak (would only say random words or sounds, but couldn't form sentences...this is actually really common for MS patients to not know they have it until they go temporarily blind, paralyzed, etc.) Anyway after several weeks of testing we found out that she had MS , but was steadily declining in health and she decided to start traveling with her job while she still could.
    So one day my mom is home sick in the bed, next day gone, only home for a few days a month. All of my family's attention was focused on her and I started acting out...skipping school (once I turned 16, my parents thought I was too old for a curfew so some nights just didn't come home at all) and developed a pretty significant eating disorder. Lost about 40 lbs in a few months (when I wasn't even overweight to begin with) and got down to about 85-90 lbs, started failing classes and no one in my family noticed or cared. Never even discussed my weight loss or mention when I would come home drunk or on drugs. So after two years of acting out with no obvious concern from my parents I decided to quit drinking and doing drugs, started pulling my grades up, and tried to get my eating disorder under control. As soon I graduated from high school I moved to go to college a few hours away. When my boyfriend of 2 years in college broke my heart, it's like a switch flipped in my brain in the other direction and I started eating to numb the pain. I think those two scenarios still contribute to my eating to this day, I do it to fill a void and when I feel alone. Trying to lose weight has become even more difficult for me beause everytime I get into a good pattern I start worrying that I am restricting too much and will develop an eating disorder again so then I binge eat. Ugh, horrible cycle!!
    Wow Thank you for sharing your story. We all have our demons and the more people share, the less we feel alone in this big bad world. I guess that was problem for a long time; I felt noone had ever suffered my pain, but in reality the had suffered a lot worse.
    I am still waiting to hear from Shelley, basically all the coaches are limbo.
    Have a great night!!

Tammie
  • tambam72
    Okay this is terrible, but I didn't even know Biggest Loser was on last night, I didn't think to watch it!! Wow where am I!?! I started teaching a J-term course to today. I teach one class for 3 hours every week day for the month of January. It is a lot of material to come up with every day so my stress level is pretty high right now and I am full of "excuses" why I don't have time for exercise!

SO you have quite a story! Often people don't see the resilience in themselves but you definitely have it!! The easy part is recognizing our issues the hard part is working on them! For me I am a total stress eater, I grew up in a very intense driven family and we were always supposed to be doing something productive and "worthwhile" so we didn't have the concept of relaxing. We didn't have a TV so were always supposed to be "working" on something or getting something done. I would sneak food as a quick easy reward (no time for anything else) and that has become a lifelong pattern. I eat when I am stressed because it is a quick reward that doesn't take too much time. When in reality, exercise and spending fun time with family would be much longer lasting solutions to stress- I just don't do that. Somehow I don't think I deserve to have time for myself to do something I want to do rather than something I should do. I guilt myself all the time for not getting enough done - it is a vicious cycle. Your quote about making excuses seems very appropriate here!

Is the challenge still going on, or are we sort of on our own now? No matter, this has been a good thing for me!!

Joy
    Thanks Joy for sharing. I am not sure what is going on with the challenge, coaches are posting in the coach corner,but we have not received a reply. I even personally sent an email to Shelley last night and have not received a reply. I'll let everyone know as soon as I know. Thanks.

Tammie
  • tambam72
    This week's challenge is to do a 30 minute HIIT workout..I have posted an example from youtube..here it is, hope it helps..it looks like a great one..I will be doing on the a.m. http://youtu.be/BS7XkoGmhXQ.. Have a great night everyone. Keep rocking, we are not giving up yet. John is working in a Navy Seal Last Chance Workout for next week!!

Tammie
    (Your evil bo wevil coach)
  • tambam72
    Happy Sunday ladies..up early and got the challenge done..then hit the gym up..an hour on the elliptical, a half hour on the track and 2o minutes of strength training. Later today I will be dancing as I promised baby girl we would. Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Tammie
  • tambam72
    Good Evening Ladies:
    We have created a new spreadsheet. My question is that I can share this so that everyone can see it or I can keep it private and just keep entering the weights. I would prefer to share it then you could just enter your own weight and challenge information when is convenient for you rather than checking in with me. However, I do not want any to quit if they would rather keep their weight a secret. I've noticed that most of you post your weights in the weekly groups so do not think that it would bother you, but I would like a universal consensus on this. Please let me know. My weekly weigh in was last week: 178.3 this week:177.1. I may be a little off over the next couple of days, please bear with me. I will post the official challenge tomorrow as soon as I get it. Great job this week ladies. Have a great night!!

Tammie
    (The coach who refuses to give up)
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    I don't care either way. However because of time constraints it's easier for me not to have to enter. My goal in to be 210 by the finale. I'd like to be 205. But I'll take 210. 15 lbs to go. Tomorrow is my first half marathon!
  • Tolstoy26
    Tolstoy26 Posts: 134 Member
    It doesn't matter to me either, personally it would probably be easier for me to enter, but I don't mind continuing to check in with you either. Good luck on your half marathon today Jesse! That is awesome!
  • tambam72
    It doesn't matter to me either, personally it would probably be easier for me to enter, but I don't mind continuing to check in with you either. Good luck on your half marathon today Jesse! That is awesome!
    Good Luck Jesse..You rock and you got this. You can do it either way. I do not mind entering, but will share the spreadsheet in case someone is running short on time, then you can enter if it is ok with everyone else. I will posting Week 14 shortly.

Tammie
    (I am in pain, but still here coach)