Turning 40 in 2014

riverain
riverain Posts: 55 Member
Hello all, just thought I'd revive this group. I turn 40 in May this year, and would like to be near my goal weight by then. I am also starting to think about what I have (and haven't) done with my life, and what I want the next 40 years to be like... Thought it would be nice to share stories/give/get support from others at the same point in their lives.

To introduce myself, a few years ago I reached my highest weight ever, and hated my job and my life in general. A good friend of mine died of cancer, and working through his death I realized what I loved most about him was that he did what he wanted, didn't sit around and wait for life, but went out and experienced it. He loved the outdoors and was always telling the funniest stories about all his adventures... and everyday was an adventure for him, even if he wasn't on a trip somewhere, he found the magic in everything. I had always wished I could be more like him and have adventures. And it finally occurred to me that I was the only one preventing me from doing it. So I changed my life and lived a few of the daydreams I used to have, traveled a little, learned to kayak, and lost most of my excess weight and came REALLY close to reaching my goal weight. I also got a better job, met the love of my life, and bought a house. Life was finally riding high!

Slowly though, I started falling back into old habits, a bit here, a bit there... Staying in with the BF instead of heading out to do something active after work... Cooking the BFs favorite foods and not bothering to make something healthy for myself... Becoming increasingly frustrated/bored at work... And then I tweaked an old back injury and had to layoff of kayaking completely for a few months (which really depressed me), and since then have not been consistent with what was/is my favorite pastime... And now I have gained a lot of the weight I lost back.

I realize this is my own fault, I used most of these 'reasons' as excuses for a long time. There is nothing stopping me from eating healthy, or signing up for a dance class after work (I really got into belly dancing for a while, it was MADE for girls with curves!), or taking the kayak out (ok, the polar vortex really puts a damper on that), or finding a more fulfilling/interesting job. And strength workouts actually reduce my back problems...

So, here I am, trying to honor my old commitment to myself to be the woman I want to be today. Not tomorrow, or next year...