VSG Interruptus (Barrett's Esophagus)

Options
segwayne
segwayne Posts: 52 Member
I started the 6-month insurance-mandated journey on October 29th, 2013 with the intent of getting Sleeved. To me, it seemed like the perfect compromise between risk and success.

Last week however, I got the results of my endoscopy back, which revealed "Barrett's Esophagus". Essentially and apparently, I've had Acid Reflux for "years" and not had any indications at all. Truly Asymptomatic.

Yesterday, met with the surgeon who explained that because of this issue, the Sleeve surgery was completely off the table and it's now R-N-Y bypass, or nothing...

A little depressed, a little second-guessing. Still going to move forward, but having a choice removed from your hands is a little rejecting.

Anyone else out there dealt with Barrett's?

Wayne

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    They found "silent reflux" when they did mine. They believe it was exacerbated by a hiatial hernia which they repaired during the sleeve procedure. It was not bad enough to change me to R/Y, (although I was told that is the treatment if the reflux cannot be controlled any other way). The reflux is better now after some weight loss, hernia repair and Omeprazole 2xd and I hope to eventually be med-free. If they'd told me that was the only way, I'd have jumped on board. 2 different paths to the same place as far as I'm concerned. I feel amazing after losing just over half my weight and would not be here without the help of WLS.