Progression to T2B

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
Toes to bar is something I've been trying to master for a while but can't seem to get it right.
This morning I was walking my dog through a park with a playground which had both monkey bars and a set of swinging ring things (think of just rings hanging straight from a bar, so there is some movement but not as much as normal gymnastic rings). I had a go at normal T2B on the monkey bars but didn't really get any higher than usual - which is about 3/4 of the way to the bar - and then had a go on the rings. I've seen people do T2B on rings at my box but never tried them. Well, I was successful!! I managed to do quite a few full reps, using the motion of kicking my feet up a little to get my toes to touch the rings.

So my question is, if I can do full T2B (or T2R? haha) on rings, is that a natural progression towards doing them on a bar, or is it a different movement given that the rings move with you, where the bar doesn't??

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Jordy, I just came back from my crossfit gymnastics certification and ttb were covered.

First of all, before you move, activate your lats (pull down and forward on the bar). Think about almost trying to lay flat as you being your legs up.

Secondly, take a few minutes each day to work on your hip flexor strength. Sit on the floor, legs straight out in front of you, point your toes. Place your hands on the floor next to your hips, and raise your legs as high as you can, tapping them back down. Do as fast as possible. Then move your hands by v your knees and repeat. Move them again down by your feet and repeat.
    You can repeat the same progression worth your legs open in a "V" with your hands in between instead of outside of the legs. Try both legs together, and then try sets apart.

Developing better hip flexor strength is vital to kte and ttb. and remember to activate those lats versus just dead hanging on the bar.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I'll add those exercises to my (attempted) daily mobility work :)