Prediabetic

Options
HELP! I'm prediabetic and need tips for low cars/sugar free diet

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant, I don't follow a sugar/carb free diet by any means, but I can tell you I've become very fond of sunflower seeds when I'm craving a snack...the pre-shelled roasted salted ones I mean. They're filling enough that you don't need more than a handful or two, and they keep my blood sugar pretty steady. Also cheese, I always bring a babybel to work with me for a snack just in case I start to get too hungry. My doctor told me that if I ever DID want something sweet, to balance it with something higher in fat/protein to even out blood sugar, like ice cream for example. Hope that helps a bit anyway!
  • qnotes
    qnotes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get moving, girl!

If you aren't doing your daily cardio, hop to! One of the easiest non-dietary ways, and it seems to be so fashionable right now (hmm), is to move your groove thang.

Get thine butt to a walking path! Start a walking club--always easier when you have others to stumble around uneven pavement with. Seriously, though!

Also, make sure that you're eating a balanced meal. Moderate protein, lots of green veggies (not iceberg or romaine--they don't count), and WHOLE GRAINS when you have a carby craving--fiber is essential.

Consider milk alternatives like almond! easier to digest, and less sugar.

Any time you eat fruit, make sure to pair it with protein--nuts! Eating protein in combination with your carbs, particularly sugars, is important for keeping even glucose levels.

Also!! Walk. If I forgot to mention it. ;)

Good luck.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Get moving, girl!

If you aren't doing your daily cardio, hop to! One of the easiest non-dietary ways, and it seems to be so fashionable right now (hmm), is to move your groove thang.

Get thine butt to a walking path! Start a walking club--always easier when you have others to stumble around uneven pavement with. Seriously, though!

Also, make sure that you're eating a balanced meal. Moderate protein, lots of green veggies (not iceberg or romaine--they don't count), and WHOLE GRAINS when you have a carby craving--fiber is essential.

Consider milk alternatives like almond! easier to digest, and less sugar.

Any time you eat fruit, make sure to pair it with protein--nuts! Eating protein in combination with your carbs, particularly sugars, is important for keeping even glucose levels.

Also!! Walk. If I forgot to mention it. ;)

Good luck.

Yes, all of this is very good advice! I didn't mention that but I do a lot of walking on my treadmill, and when I do it on a regular basis I can tell my blood sugar stays more even. Plus I tend to get less hungry on days that I exercise, which I'm sure is tied into blood sugar levels too.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far! Exercise definitely helps my blood sugar and if I eat carbs I stay away from "white" ones (potatoes, rice, and so on) - they hit me harder.
  • qnotes
    qnotes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay, good. I'm glad the information I've provided is redundant. Doctors don't seem to give good dietary advice, or at least incomplete advice.

Most are not required more than A CLASS in nutrition, and I don't even know if that constitutes study in dietetics.
  • Turquoisegal
    Turquoisegal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great tips ty