36 1/2 weeks, engaged and 2 cm dilated

Options
miranda_mom
miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
I had my 36 week appointment today - first internal. Doctor casually tells me that the baby's head is engaged and I'm 2 cm dilated. I feel like I dilated for a long time with my daughter but wasn't this far along at this point. I can actually see that my stomach is smaller now up top (near my ribs) and he said that's because he's so far down. I have been having mild cramping all day, as well as two more severe Braxton Hicks contractions. My non stress test looked great today and doctor said I'm ready even if I go into labor this early, it will be fine. Wondering what others' experiences have been with engaging and dilating around 36 weeks.

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Not much to add other than congrats, your almost ready!! I never got to experience any of that....my girl was so high up my doctor couldn't feel her head at 39+ weeks, I never dilated, and ended up getting a C-section since there was no indication she was coming naturally. As the matter of fact, they still had to vacuum assist even with the C! Sounds like your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing!!!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you and my midwife said she would have been surprised if I made it to 39 weeks. I got all excited! Baby arrived six days past my due date, lol.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Not much to add other than congrats, your almost ready!! I never got to experience any of that....my girl was so high up my doctor couldn't feel her head at 39+ weeks, I never dilated, and ended up getting a C-section since there was no indication she was coming naturally. As the matter of fact, they still had to vacuum assist even with the C! Sounds like your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing!!!

How come they didn't induce you? My daughter was 12 days late. I was induced, and when I went in they said my cervix was totally closed, which is unusual for a 2nd baby! Still, after 2 pessaries, I had a 4 hour 21 minute labour and totally natural delivery with just gas and air, and didn't need stitches. Glad they don't just go for c secs in England!

Engaged doesn't necessarily mean birth is imminent. Here they say how many fifths engaged you are, so you could be 2/5 engaged or whatever, and still be overdue. I've never been dilated early on though.

Good luck, hope you don't have to wait too long!