Shopping List - UK

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm sat making my shopping list for next week's meals.
I find it helps me to only buy what I need and also stick to the list.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has their list and meal planner that they could share?
Just for fun... might be interesting to buy someone else's list and do that meal plan for a week.

Thanks

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I don't tend to plan meals that far in advance but I just make sure I buy tonnes of fresh veg, lean meats and low GI carbs and am very careful as to how much I serve.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook much the same things week-to-week. I eat a lot of Mediterranean-type stuff (and a ton of fruit for breakfast). Happy to share my list and some recipes if you'd like?
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I am started to think planned shopping menus would be great, but I find it difficult as my partner eats completely different to me.

I have to order pizza, burgers, chips, pies etc for him
    and fish, salad, pasta, fruit, etc for me.

I feel like it is such an effort to do this in the store so I shop online so I am not tempted by anything on the shelves. The only thing I go shopping for now is fresh fruit and veg.
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i wish i could be that organised, but i am getting better. Deciding the night before and making sure i have everthing i need, rather than opening and closing cuboard and fridge waiting for inspiration.
    We also share the cooking in our house very well. i do mon,wed,fri and he cooks tue and thurs. hes getting good at working out my calories for me too.
    I m finding im cooking a lot with the slow cooker, it great with the kids activites, when we dont get in till after 8 3 days a week, no messing dinner ready and veg cooks while everyone showers.
  • Nicole_gets_a_grip
    Options
    Weekly Shopping list:

Large whole chicken
    Pork Loin
    Peppers
    Onion
    Garlic
    Mushrooms
    Brocolli
    Leeks
    Sweet Potato
    Pink Lady Apples
    Bananas
    Clementines / oranges
    Snickers (for my husband!)
    Kingsmill 50/50
    Dolmio
    Eggs
    Bacon

Sunday
    Chicken Roast Dinner
    Monday
    Curry (made with left over chicken from Sunday
    Tuesday
    Ghanaian Stew and rice
    Wednesday
    Spaghetti bolgnese
    Thursday
    Pork, mash and leeks
    Friday
    Not sure!
    Saturday
    Ghanaian Stew and Rice

I normally plan my shopping based on simple meals that I can cook simply after work!
  • nicwillett
    nicwillett Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use my diary to plan meals ahead and as I am single I cook enough for a few days and freeze the rest. I'm getting a bit of inspiration from other peoples food diaries but as they are all from the US it would be nice to friend-up with some UK folks if you would like? I am going to make a vat of veggie soup today to freeze so I can cope with hunger pangs better - and I think I'm going to need something warm and filling when the cold weather arrives!
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This week:

Monday: hairy dieters moussaka
    Tuesday: fresh pasta and tomato/basil sauce
    Wednesday: leftover beef stew pie (no pastry for me!), roasted butternut and broccoli
    Thursday: slow cooked spaghetti bolognese
    Friday: chicken in light white wine sauce, rice, carrots and peas
    Saturday: hairy dieters spicy bacon pasta
    Sunday: hairy dieters mince and vegetable pie

We menu plan every week and get shopping delivered on a sunday night, and meals have to be suitable for a busy family of 4. Some nights my boys have evening activities so time is a factor too!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This week's dinners:

South Beach Diet Shepherd's Pie (uses mashed cauliflower on top, mince and edamame inside) with parmesan sprinkled roasted green beans and broccoli
    Baked Mediterranean chicken (tomato, basil, olives), wholegrain rice with a splash of Tamari soy sauce and mixed veg
    Salmon/cod fillet baked with garlic, scrape of butter, Schwartz perfect fish herb mix, wholegrain rice, roasted butternut squash, broccoli and sweetcorn
    Egg white omelette with baby plum tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and sweet potato fries
    Tuna and cottage cheese (onion and chive flavour) salad
    Chicken and tomato pesto with spinach pasta and mushrooms
    Roast dinner - every Sunday!

Snacks:

laughing cow light or mixed tuna and cottage cheese spread on oatcake
    fruit
    Fage 0% greek yoghurt, 4g agave nectar, handful of my daughter's wheat-free Os cereal, 40g strawberries and 40g blueberries
    Trek coconut chocolate protein flapjack
    boiled egg on toast
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I plan a lot of my meals in advance as well, I enjoy doing it on Saturday morning while watching Saturday Kitchen (I LOVE cooking!). I actually use a lot of recipes from Good Food, and I'm using an increasing number of recipes from Nigel Slater, who has uncomplicated recipes made from natural, organic foods, making it really healthy.
  • explorationerin
    Options
    Well ive just done my asda shop online for tomorrow and here is my food shop (for me and a 4 year old who eats more than i do!)

Tuna Chunks In Spring Water
    Garden Peas
    Sweetcorn
    Macaroni
    British Small Potatoes
    Mozzarella
    Tomato Puree
    Plain Tortillas
    Grana Padano Grated
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Mixed Exotic Mushrooms
    Mushrooms
    Barbecue Flavour Popcorn
    Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
    Bananas
    Sweet Potatoes
    Fresh Milk Skimmed
    Pork Steaks
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Smoked Bacon Medallions
    Turkey Sausage
    Eggs Big & British
    Seedless Green Grapes
    Pate Brussels Chubb
    Seafood Sticks
    Cucumber
    Iceberg Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Chicken Portions

Tomorrow im making tuna potato cakes, later in the week oll be making mushroom soup, turkey burgers and tortilla pizzas (a fave in this house it lets me pretend im eating junk food!)

I tend to just stock up on the basics and see what i fancy that day, or i look online for recipes that feature the ingredients i already have.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We always make a Menu for the week's main meals (Tea) and then a shopping list! We work on a tight budget and we've found that this helps us to keep on track, both with our spending and Calorie counting :)

We do occasionally go "Off-Piste" and try something new but we tend to have similar things to eat for Breakfast and Dinner (Depending on Season - Soups in Winter, Salads in Summer, etc).

This Week's shop came to just over £16.00 - we cannot believe how much watching our weight has helped us to save money!

Our Menu this week is:

Monday: Grilled Gammon, Mushrooms and Oven Chips with Baked Beans
    Tuesday: Gnocchi with Home-made ham, tomato and mushroom sauce.
    Wednesday: Cheese Burger with Side Salad and Chips and Mushrooms
    Thursday: Spaghetti Bolognase
    Friday: Tacos with Home-made Wedges
    Saturday: Naan-bread Pizza, Chips and Salad
    Sunday: Roast Beef Dinner

Looking at this Menu, we eat a LOT of mushrooms! Pretty much everything is Home-Made so we can save and hopefully develop some more cooking skills!

- Kaela x
  • joolsweb
    joolsweb Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi ya - I don't meal plan as I like to choose dependent on mood/needs, however I am packed luncher, so do try and plan what I'm eating at work, but generally loads of veg and fruit - my tesco shop (arriving saturday) is a below (it is also more than a week's worth as i like to have options in the freezer) and so far this week we've had:
    roast turkey lunch, turkey soup, steak and chips with mushroom sauce, home made chicken kebabs, and probably some pasta tonight (feel free to add em if you want):

7 Up Light Lemon & Lime 2 Litre Bottle
    Crusty White Roll
    Tesco Natually Sweet Sweetcorn 3X200g
    Tesco Kiwi Fruits 6 Pack
    Aunt Bessie's Crispy Roast Potatoes 907G
    Tesco Bananas Loose
    Tesco Granny Smith Apples Min 5 Pack
    Tesco British Semi Skimmed Milk 2.272Ltr/4Pints
    Tesco Red Onions 3 Pack
    Tesco Dried Oregano 14G
    Tesco Baking Potatoes 2.5Kg
    Tesco Giant Persimon Each
    Tesco Healthy Living Coleslaw 600G
    Tesco Green Tea Bags 20'S 50G
    Tesco Cherry Tomatoes 330G
    Tesco Butter Basted Turkey Joint 640G
    Tesco Whole Cucumber Each
    Tesco Carrots 1.2Kg
    Tesco Green Seedless Grapes Pack 500G
    Tesco Everyday Value Mixed Vegetables 1Kg
    Low Low Mature Cheddar Spread 125G
    Birds Eye 2 Original Chicken Chargrills 170G
    Tesco Sweet & Crunchy 370G
    Onken Fat Free Strawberry Yogurt 450G
    Tesco Strawberries 227G
    Bella Cucina Prosecco 75Cl
    Tulip Mini Ham Joint 455G
    Happy Egg Free Range Eggs Large Box Of 10
    Philadelphia Simply Stir Mushroom 200G
    Tesco Family Pack Mixed Peppers 650G
    Tesco Family Pack Mushrooms 625G
    Shloer Celebration Pink Fizz 750Ml
    Tesco Beef Steak 300G
  • carolbaker000
    carolbaker000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I plan a lot of my meals in advance as well, I enjoy doing it on Saturday morning while watching Saturday Kitchen (I LOVE cooking!). I actually use a lot of recipes from Good Food, and I'm using an increasing number of recipes from Nigel Slater, who has uncomplicated recipes made from natural, organic foods, making it really healthy.

This made me laugh. Its often Saturday kitchen that steers my shopping list for the week too.
    I've had Good Food magazine subscription for 5 years + and find the website is great too.
    And as for Nigel Slater, his recipes are easy to follow, short list of ingredients and typically feature seasonal produce too.

Ditto!
  • carolbaker000
    Options
    We always make a Menu for the week's main meals (Tea) and then a shopping list! We work on a tight budget and we've found that this helps us to keep on track, both with our spending and Calorie counting :)

We do occasionally go "Off-Piste" and try something new but we tend to have similar things to eat for Breakfast and Dinner (Depending on Season - Soups in Winter, Salads in Summer, etc).

This Week's shop came to just over £16.00 - we cannot believe how much watching our weight has helped us to save money!

Our Menu this week is:

Monday: Grilled Gammon, Mushrooms and Oven Chips with Baked Beans
    Tuesday: Gnocchi with Home-made ham, tomato and mushroom sauce.
    Wednesday: Cheese Burger with Side Salad and Chips and Mushrooms
    Thursday: Spaghetti Bolognase
    Friday: Tacos with Home-made Wedges
    Saturday: Naan-bread Pizza, Chips and Salad
    Sunday: Roast Beef Dinner

Looking at this Menu, we eat a LOT of mushrooms! Pretty much everything is Home-Made so we can save and hopefully develop some more cooking skills!

- Kaela x

Where do you do your shopping? I'm amazed that you can shop for £16... even with a lot of mushrooms.
    I'd expect things to work out cheaper when you are cooking from scratch (and tastier too)

Really interesting to read what people are buying, cooking and eating. Thanks.
  • carolbaker000
    Options
    Could you share the recipe for South Beach Diet Shepherd's Pie please?

Thanks
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Fish is good to mix things up a bit, especially if you steer away from cod or salmon. Got some monk fish the other day, plan on doing a curry with that - yum!

Meals tend to be a case of "what's in the fridge/cupboard?" and "what do I want to eat?" so tend not to stick to a plan.

If I'm really stuck I stick some ingredients into the BBC Food website and see what it throws out!!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I try and make a plan for the week too. More to watch what we spend than what we eat. My OH is a farmer so will get pork (joints/sausage and chops) and lamb from the farm/ eat our own. My brother has a small hotel so he gets us chicken and beef mince (much cheaper).

So each week we have a small list of fresh food that will go with the meat in the freezer, this week for supper:

Sunday: Sausage, with mozzarella, tomato , french bread
    Monday: Chilli with sweet pot wedges
    Tuesday: Veg & lentil soup
    Wednesday: Chicken casserole & potatoes & Veg
    Thurs: cottage pie and veg
    Fri: ?

My OH eats lunch at the farm and I usually have soup/sandwich/omellette.

I usually shop in Morrisons or just pop the Iceland wit a small list.
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This week's menu:

M - Pasta and stir in dolmio sauce
    T - Jackets, beans and cheese
    W - Hairy Dieters gammon with parsley mash
    T - Slow cooker chilli and rice (saving half for next week to go with jackets or wedges)
    F, S and S - away for weekend at my parents so will probably be a mixture of eating out, chinese or home cooked - luckily they really like the hairy dieters' cookbooks too!
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I always buy for a week's meals and stick to them too on the planned day! I used to be terrible for "ah can't be bothered to cook, let's get dinner from the chippy"!

This week is:

Saturday: Prawn salad
    Sunday: Roast beef dinner with carrots, swedes, parsnips and roasted sweet potatoes
    Monday: Fish fingers (Home made using cod fillets, egg and coconut flour) with sweet potato chips and salad
    Tuesday: Rib and beet soup
    Wednesday: Thai green curry with cauliflower rice
    Thursday: Omelette with prosciutto and mixed salad
    Friday: Mackerel salad (my absolute favourite, I could eat this three times a day, seven days a week!)
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I'm back on the wagon I always plan my meals. Part of my problem is that I'm tired when I get in from work & I eat whatever crap I can find, so if I plan my meals & only buy what I need then I have no choice but to eat healthy!

I use a lot of recipes from BBC Good food website, and as I am also on a budget, I use a few from A Girl Called Jack. I take a packed lunch to work which generally tends to be a chopped up salad or sarnies.

This week's teas include Indian chickpea soup, Sweet potato veggie shepherds pie, carrot, cumin & kidney bean burgers, and lentil and spinach daal. I'm also going to try a banana, chickpea and tea curry which has been recommended to me. Looking at that I seem to eat a lot of curries! Although I'm not vegetarian, meat seems to be an expensive luxury.