First 70.3!

Options
veggiekatie
veggiekatie Posts: 10 Member
Does anyone have any advice for us that are doing our first half ironman? Did you experience anything you hadn't in training during the event ?

K:)

Replies

• ianellery
    Options
    Hi Kate . I have some tips for first 70.3 races. Make sure everything that you intend to use during the race has been tested in training. Train on your race bike, test any nutrition and drink. Find out what the aid stations will be handing out and try some to be sure it doesn't, upset you in any way. Wear the clothing you intend to wear on race day in training to be sure in isn't uncomfortable or rubs. I made this mistake at Ironman Austria . I wore a top that was in the goody bag and suffered a lot of soreness during the run. If possible ,train in similar conditions . If its a hilly races, train on the hills , if its a sea swim ,do some sea swim training. Try to have an eating plan for during your race to get the right amount of energy in to keep you moving. It's rare to hear someone say ,I didn't,t finish because I had too much nutrition , but you will hear people say that they ran out of energy because they didn't,t eat and drink enough. I did an Iron distance race in Germany in July and during the run I had one gel at every aid station and two at every other. I also drank one water and one energy. In the last few miles I added some flat coke. This plan enabled me to run the whole marathon. These are my main tips. Feel free to ask any questions..Ian
  • SeeKateRun82
    SeeKateRun82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try to get in some brick workouts before race day! A brick is where you bike for an extended period of time and then immediately run. This helps to simulate what will happen on race day at T2. When I have brick workouts as part of my training plan, I feel less fatigued at the start of the run. It gives your legs some good practice as to what to expect.

Where and when is the big day?
  • veggiekatie
    veggiekatie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Barbs. Race :) I have a coach, she has us do a ton of bricks. I've never got a blister on my foot, but for some reason I'm a little worried about getting them on race day. My mom had cramps in her legs and she said she had never gotten cramps there. A couple months after the race she was power walking and said it was those same muscles! Little things like that :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There are two really big things that differentiate 70.3 and 140.6 races from short course racing. They are pacing and nutrition. Have a race plan that you've practiced multiple times in training and stick to it during the race.