That just happened- why you can't give up

Options
brookielaw
brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
Hi. I haven't been real active here but this is a very special group to me.

I am here to point at my ticker and remind you not to give up.
I started at 387 lbs.
I lost 15 colleagues in a year and I truly felt like people were saying "you're next" when they said they were "concerned" in tones that cut to my very core, but I had to do it on my time and on my terms.

At 387 lbs, EVERYTHING hurt. All the time. Food was not fuel but comfort. I moved S L O W L Y, if at all.

At some point I started making very small changes, like cutting portion size and eating less meat, pizzas, and sweets (but you can still, to this day, pry my ice cream from my cold, dead hands). I started swimming, because even walking hurt, a LOT. At least in the water my weight was off my bones. My arthritis (OA) is so bad that every time a doc sees an x-ray they think I was standing at the time. I couldn't really bend my right leg, it was so bad. After dropping some weight with the swimming, I hired a trainer, who is awesome, reasonably priced, and a dear friend. I made the best decision ever, to join MFP. I started logging everything, as far as food and workouts. I wasn't perfect, but I made those changes. I bought a bike as a reward for losing 100 lbs, and I talked to my trainer about non-scale goals. I rappelled down an office building after raising money for Special Olympics Texas and I JUST started training for my first triathlon (May 10, 3 days before my 40th bday, WHAT UP!) and I can do mundane things that some people take for granted, like walking up and down stairs, bending my legs, and moving fast.

I'm a lot happier.

I am not here for your congratulations. I am here to remind you not to give up. In another 4.6 lbs, when I graduate to just plain' ol' vanilla "obese," then I'll go brag elsewhere. ;). My point now is the following:

1. Small changes add up.
2. DO NOT GIVE UP.
3. A bad day is just a day if you regroup and get back to it.
4. MFP is GREAT, EFFECTIVE, and HOLY CRAP, IT'S FREE!!!
And most importantly:

5. Don't give up. There is NOTHING special about me. I was WELL over 300 lbs. I'm not a spring chicken (although, damn, I look like a hot one now), and I have/had health problems and setbacks since I got started. I kept going and so can you.

Replies

• KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiring story!! I started at 345 in October. I am only down 24 lbs. I just joined the YMCA and currently taking 2 water aerobic classes a week and doing Zumba (not the prettiest thing but hey, I keep moving for an entire hour!) 2 nights a week. I also swam for 45 minutes on Sunday. This week my weight was up by 2 lbs from Monday. Maybe too much sodium, but it always has been and I log everything, even the bad choices. I stay within my calorie goal and on some days (zumba days) my activity calories are over 1000 burned netting in very low net calories.

I meet with a trainer for an hour tomorrow to get some good advice on how to go all about this! I was heartbroken (but not defeated) to see a gain of 2 lbs after putting in so much effort this week.

I can't wait to beat the 300s!!! Thanks for sharing your story!!! It makes me know this is all possible.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates. I follow the general guideline about weighing at the same time, on the same scale, in the same clothes (none, ha!). As women, the TOM really does affect us. I see a drop right before my period, then a week of stagnation, like clockwork. If I have a crazy sodium day, the scale shows it. If I didn't drink enough water, the scale shows it, and if I ate crap, well....you get the picture. Your "only" 24 lbs is a perfectly healthy and sustainable 2 lbs a week!

Beating the 300s was a huge happy milestone for me, and I'm sure it'll be the same for you. Not much longer now! :) Keep at it!