An unplanned planned c-section

Options
mrs_n0rris
mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
Hello ladies! Just thought I would share to see if anyone else is in the same boat. I had planned a lovely water birth with minimal drugs and my trusty midwife. Of course like the best laid plans, that's gone completely off the rails :P Our little girl is breech and refuses to budge despite all the weird yoga positions, hot/cold packs, etc. My midwife doesn't even want to try to move her through ECV because she's too settled in. Talk about stubborn!

Anyways, my husband and I have decided to have a planned c-section on the advice of our midwife and Dr and after speaking to my mom and grandmother. It seems that in our family the first child is always breech, and in the case of my mom and grandmother this resulted in a very long, painful labour.

Anywho, does anyone have advice for a first time mama? I'm trying to just roll with things now and take all the help I can get.

Replies

• Alexz210
    Alexz210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi again! How far along are you?
    I just went in today for our 36 week appt, and got the same news. baby is transverse and not budging. He's also quite big (80th percentile), so it's doubtful that he'll move in time.
    Are they scheduling your section at 39 weeks or 40? We haven't scheduled anything yet. We will wait and check again next week.

The main idea is that baby will be healthy. Try to focus on the positives, even though this isn't how you planned for your baby to arrive. It will be nice to have it planned, and go in without any questions or panic. It will also be nice to get a bit of extra paid time off work (that's how it works here, at least). Good luck, and keep us updated!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I know it is disappointing but believe me, a lot of disappointing things can and will happen. With my daughter, I came *this* close to having to have a C-section because they thought labor wasn't progressing but when they checked the *one last time* I was fully dilated. So I dodged that bullet but then ended up being totally unable to breastfeed despite trying everything. It was frustrating and I felt awful about it for a long time but in the end, you have to make the health of your baby (and yourself) #1 and as you said, roll with the punches, because there will be some.
    My #1 piece of advice to first time moms is to make a plan but to ALWAYS realize that that plan will probably not happen despite your best intentions!
    I think you are doing great - getting advice from your midwife and family and being realistic. You will do great no matter what happens so hang in there!!!
  • mrs_n0rris
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I am 38 weeks and will be just shy of 39 for the c-section. Thankfully our little girl seems to be healthy in every way, she's just confused about north and south :) I will definitely try to stay Zen and let things happen as they will (while loudly voicing my opinion if necessary). My midwife will still be present which is comforting, she says she'll act as our advocate and make sure we get the things we want, like holding our baby as soon as possible!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think it's good that you know now and can get used to the idea, as opposed to going into labor, finding out there is a problem and then having to change everything around. One of my friends was induced due to high BP. She ended up being in labor for longer than I was and he still wasn't ready to come out. So she was in labor for 12 hours and then had a C-section. She always says she got to experience the pain from labor AND the pain from a C-section. She definitely would have preferred to just have the C-section!
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    have you tried the spinning babies website? It has some great suggestions :) Good luck!
  • mrs_n0rris
    Options
    Miranda_mom: i'm trying to avoid your friend's experience exactly! While the Dr and midwife would let me try labouring, because of many factors (this being my first, the way she's breech which would not apply even pressure down below causing my cervix to dialate very slowly if ever enough, etc, etc) I would likely end up with a section anyways, so we're trying to save some pain and energy for both of us. Our Dr explained that a natural labour would put more stress on the baby, while a section puts more stress on me and less on baby. Talk about appealing to maternal instincts! ;) although I had already made my mind up at that point, so he wasn't trying to sway me or anything.

Mommyblessed6: thanks for the suggestion! I have checked out Spinning babies and tried some of their techniques. Unfortunately our little girl is just too stubborn to budge.
  • mommyblessed7
    mommyblessed7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    those babies!! sure can be stubborn lol. But you will do fine and have that baby in your arms soon!