Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

what is normal weight loss?

Hi, I'm Sarah. I got sleeved December 21, 2014. I am getting about 600 calories in per day (barely).....I lost about 13 lbs before the surgery due to the liquid diet, but being on my 4th week out- I'm down 22 lbs total! so I guess really that is 9 lbs since surgery. I know everyone is different, but is that a normal weight loss with the sleeve? I guess I was expecting to be down more by now. Don't get me wrong, I am S) thankful for what I have lost, just hoping it speeds up :) What is the normal weight loss with this?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I don't think there is a "normal", unfortunately. I thought I would be losing quicker than I have been. Still, I am losing more than I would have been without surgery and I am going in the right direction, which I am very thankful for!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    As garber6th said, normal is different for everyone.

What I noticed: I came home from the hospital +9 from presurgery weight, but it dropped quickly. Three weeks out, hit the dreaded three week stall as I got into pureed foods. Once I got to where I could eat some real food again, my body seemed to grasp what was going on and I started dropping weight pretty quickly.

I again hit a stall at the six month mark. I'm down just over 100 lbs since surgery last May 1st. I'm losing right at 10 lbs per month now. Because of my weight being so high at the start, the losses were huge initially, where I have weeks now that I lose less than a pound, followed by a 3 or 4 pound loss.

By the time this all ends, I expect my loss to average out to about 2 lbs per week. But reality seldom meets expectations.

Just be patient, keep working the program. The weight will come off!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    There definitely isn't a "normal" when it comes to weight loss. :) I think I lost about 30 pounds the first few weeks after surgery. Then I had a three week stall of NO weight loss that started week 3. However, it picked up again. :)

Just keep following YOUR doctor's plan and it will definitely come off. I say "your" doctor because it seems that every doctor's plan is different. I only stayed overnight one night and my first full day home had me starting on soft foods.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I was at a pound a day initially but then at about the three wk mark I stalled. I didn't even notice that I had slipped into grazing instead of having three set meals. My nutritionist put me on MFP and I began to weigh and measure everything. I think I must have been off my calories by about 30% thinking I could eyeball it. I was wrong. When I started logging everything the steady wt loss restarted. I was sleeved 11/20/2013 and I have lost 45#. I lose faster when I hit my protein goals and get my 64oz of water in. My food diary is open , feel free to look at what I eat. Now that I am lighter it takes about 3-4 days to lose a pound
  • Thank you guys!! when did you get your sleeves done?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Had my sleeve 2.5 years ago. There is no normal for this. Everyone's journey is unique to them. At your point I was losing about 5-10 pounds a week, and I never hit that 3 week stall. My stall came at 9 months out and lasted for the next 5 months. The weight loss started again, but has been very inconsistent. I should be losing a pound a week at this point and frankly I am lucky to get that a month. Again, my journey is differnt from everyone elses. Some lose easily and fast. I am one who loses slow. It is what it is and as long as I'm still going down, no matter how slowly, it's still good.

Follow what you doctor and his/her team tell you. They are the experts. You can make this a success.
  • I just realized yesterday that I was only getting, at the most, 20g of protein in a day !!! I was looking in the wrong spot on my log....I wonder if that was what is slowing me down? Or maybe this is how slow I'm going to lose?
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    I had the same question for my doctor. His advice: stop comparing yourself to other people. At two months post surgery, I had lost 35 pounds and I was beating myself up for not loosing more. He said to me, "when in your life have you ever lost 35 pounds in 2 months?" That helped to put things in perspective for me. Follow the plan as best as you can. Keep moving forward, even when you have a mess up or a stall. It may not be at the rate that your head says you should be loosing, but at least you're loosing. I'm in the midst of a 10 day weightloss stall (4 months post surgery) and I just have to remind myself that the scale will go down if I keep doing things as prescribed. Weight loss is never "normal." Try not to compare yourself to other people. You are unique: different starting weight, genetics, metabolism, age, activity level, etc. In my opinion, you're doing great!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    I just realized yesterday that I was only getting, at the most, 20g of protein in a day !!! I was looking in the wrong spot on my log....I wonder if that was what is slowing me down? Or maybe this is how slow I'm going to lose?

@alecdrew11 - This may be part of the problem with the losses. Beyond that though it can cause other problems. Please work at getting that protein up where the doctors want it. While I shrugged off the warning of hair loss (already going, don't bug me--) it hit my wife. It is coming back for her now, but the doctor said keeping protein levels up will help with that. It will also help minimize losing muscle during the WL process. Without exercise and enough protein, I've been told that half of weightloss can be lean muscle.

Don't panic. Just reset, get those levels up and see the results. This is always a matter of balance and it changes through the process.