First Triathlon at age 51. Brilliant..........

Options
dburkhol
dburkhol Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone !

I just joined MFP. I have a background in competative swimming, and I've been a recreational cyclist on and off for most of my life. I've always wanted to try doing a triathlon, but never got past the "that would be cool" stage.

This year I made the decision to get off by butt and get back into activity in a big way. I wrote a little blog about my background and motivation here at MFP if anyone wants a good laugh.

My new years committment (I hate using the term resolution, it makes it sound like a wish not a goal) was to try to do a Ironman before the end of the year. Yeah, I know, I'm crazy.

I am entered in an olympic distance tri in the middle of May, and a 1/2 ironman in early September. My initial training plan is loosely based on an olympic distance training plan at www.leonstriathlon.com. Since I have avoided running for my entire life, I'm starting off a little slower. I'm using a 10 week to 50 minute run plan from www.runtastic.com.

It also helps that my wife is a personal trainer and pilates instructor. Her role is to help me not kill myself in the process.

I also plan to join a tri club here in the Columbia area.

I look forward to this adventure and would welcome any words of advice and or support. Heck, if you just want to chuckle at me that would be great too.

Take care, and I'll update my blog with my progress.

Replies

• MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first tri too! I was inspired by a woman I met who did her very first tri when she was 60! If she can do it, we can do it.

Good luck with your races. It's going to be a fun year.
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    Good luck w/your races! Sounds like you're jumping right in w/those distances. I'm too scared to do that....mainly because of the swim. LOL

I'm sure you'll love it!

Angie
  • aceink64
    aceink64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well I turned 50 back in April, looked at myself and what I saw in the mirror is not what I really wanted to look like, I decided right then and there I was going to do something to get back in shape, I was looking around for something to get into that I would enjoy and would also keep me motivated because it would not be a totally routine same thing everyday type. That is when I happen to find triathlons the sprint class in particular, I have always wanted to do an Ironman but at this point I knew that was out of the question. I started small and Have my first Tri planned for OCT 11th the Powell3, it is a sprint class but at 300 pounds my main goal is to start and finish and have loads of fun doing it. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy older person around. I love my tough training schedule and it is working to help me drop the pounds also.
  • swimbikerun2006
    swimbikerun2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well I turned 50 back in April, looked at myself and what I saw in the mirror is not what I really wanted to look like, I decided right then and there I was going to do something to get back in shape, I was looking around for something to get into that I would enjoy and would also keep me motivated because it would not be a totally routine same thing everyday type. That is when I happen to find triathlons the sprint class in particular, I have always wanted to do an Ironman but at this point I knew that was out of the question. I started small and Have my first Tri planned for OCT 11th the Powell3, it is a sprint class but at 300 pounds my main goal is to start and finish and have loads of fun doing it. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy older person around. I love my tough training schedule and it is working to help me drop the pounds also.

Wishing you the BEST in your first TRI!!! Speaking for crazy older people....I am planning my ultimate fitness goal (70.3) for my 50th birthday. Lucky for me, I still have 2 years to get ready :)) I did my very first TRI for my 40th birthday in 2006- have done several sprint and one olympic distant since then. BUT...I am shooting for the 70.3!! So I say..let's do THIS!!! Can't wait to hear more on how it went for you!
  • careyweaver
    careyweaver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and love triathlons! I would recommend starting off slowly and build a base before you start racing a lot or even jumping to the longer races. You don't want to injured!