Medication!

Options
cwtchme
cwtchme Posts: 104 Member
Hi everyone. My name is Ellie and I'm from Wales. I'm a wheelchair user as i have chronic osteoarthritis in almost every joint in my body. I was diagnosed when i was 9 years old and I'm 43 now, so I think I'm doing really well. I have 7 stone to lose in total (although after my first week I lost an amazing 7lbs!) I'm on a number of medications to try to manage my condition (dihydrocodeine, ibuprofen, omeprazole, paracetamol, amitriptyline, gabapentin, plus I take cod liver oil and glucosamine suppliments) You could say I rattle as I move!

I'd be interested to see if anyone has had difficulties losing weight due to medication.

Replies

• booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi and you're absolutely right that losing weight will make a big difference in your pain as well as your mobility. I'm 63 and my doctor calls me "an orthopedic nghtmare" due to severe joint damage due to RA and osteoarthritis. I'm affected throughout my body and also take many of the medications you mentioned for pain. After losing 50 pounds I was able to discontinue the omniprazole for severe reflux and I only take it as needed and that is infrequently. Now that I've lost 100 pounds I am off my high blood pressure meds except for lasix. While I still have daily and always present pain it is not the unmanageable, crazy making pain I had before when nothing I could do helped. I'm afraid to say that I was in so much pain contantly that I was losing my will to live. I was in despair. Now, I breathe easier, move easier and I can stand for longer periods up to 10 minutes sometimes. I can shower and dress much easier and I can prepare a light meal and once again actually enjoy going out for dinner or shopping. I still need a wheel chair but I have finally been approved for knee replacement in March and I have high hopes for even more mobility after I recover. Yes, some meds do inhibit weight loss, and while I'm not certain the ones you mentioned are among those, we can't use that for an excuse to not make the effort to lose. It's not easy but bottom line is, what are the choices? To eat less will likely mean living longer with a better quality of life. You're young still and you have so many years ahead of you. If I had lost weight at the age you are now no doubt I would be much healthier. Keeping the weight on will shorten our lives and contribute to heart disease, decreased pulmonary function, and a much unhappier life. Being disabled is tough and losing weight is a significant challenge for a healhy person, but I cannot stress enough how even more important it is for us with mobility issues. MFP is a good place for inspiration and information. Log everything you eat!! Look at it and always be truthful and you will see the pounds begin to decrease. If I can help in some way, let me know, but regardless I'm cheering for you!
  • cwtchme
    cwtchme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Your words have helped me feel that I'm not alone. I've been back to my doctor who has referred me to my local sports centre so I can use the hydro gym there. It's great as I can use the normal gym equipment but in water. The water helps support my joints to I can exercise. He has also referred me to my local hospital to see if there's anything that can be done there. (I'm not holding out much hope there as I was told a number of years ago that new joints wouldn't be an option.) I have an appointment this week with our local mental health team so I can talk to them, as I was crying every time anyone asked me how I was feeling! I've logged on here every day since January 5th and I've lost 14lbs so far, and I feel FAB! It's fantastic to see the weight go down. Hopefully the sessions at the hydro gym will help with the weight loss too.

Thank you again. x