Early Morning Training and Breakfast

Options
I roll out of bed at 6.30 and go to the gym for 7am 3x a week. I usually just have a big cup of black coffee and a spoonful of peanut butter before I leave.

This morning, I had so much trouble completing my first "working weight" set that I had to deload... again. Disheartening to say the least. I felt tired and all I could think about was food. This has happened twice in as many weeks.
I don't know if it's because I underate by -300 calories yesterday (??).

I got the same amount of sleep as usual.

So my question to you lovely ladies is this: Should I be eating MORE before I train (i.e., two small breakfasts) or just eat more the day before? I don't really want to eat more at 6.30am...

What do you generally do?

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    what about a protein shake and a banana or something to give you some energy? eating under might also not help as well..
  • IronRangeGirl
    IronRangeGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I don't eat enough the day before, I pay for it strength-wise the next morning.
    I'm up and working out at 5 am, 3x a week (at home thankfully). I usually don't eat anything beforehand, just drink some water and I'm good to go.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Once I really got into it with heavier weights I found I was starving halfway into squats. This was when I would just get up and go without eating (6am workout). So now I eat a slice of toast w/peanut butter beforehand then a protein shake and a banana sometime afterwards. It seems to be working better now. And yeah, undereating the day before probably won't help ya much. I'm always throwing weights around like its nothing the next day if I go out to eat or have something not "diet" friendly so to say.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much! I will definitely eat better on the days before my workouts and if I'm still experiencing the fatigue, I'm going to try a simple peanut butter/milk smoothie which I can blend up the night before and chug beforehand. *fingers crossed*
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Going to go with what everyone else says here: eat more the day before.

I would advise having a bit more carbs than usual on your last meal of the day. Or a bedtime snack of sorts. A favroite of mine is cottage cheese with some fruits and granola :)

I've been doing IF for a few weeks now, and I get up at 5:30 to get to the gym at 6, and then won't eat until about noon. That snack at 7:30PM is what gets me through (and it makes a big difference :))
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Going to go with what everyone else says here: eat more the day before.

I would advise having a bit more carbs than usual on your last meal of the day. Or a bedtime snack of sorts. A favroite of mine is cottage cheese with some fruits and granola :)

I've been doing IF for a few weeks now, and I get up at 5:30 to get to the gym at 6, and then won't eat until about noon. That snack at 7:30PM is what gets me through (and it makes a big difference :))
    Like a bowl of cereal or something. Thanks! Great to hear from you, because I really prefer to work without too much in my tummy, so I'll be sure to deal death to some carbs.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Also, it looks like I'm definitely not an "early morning" person. You guys are amazing for going so early! Cheers. :drinker: