What if you can't afford it?

Options
DirrtyH
DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
I've been going to an unofficial crossfit knock-off class at my local gym, which is a teensy bit cheaper than the local box across the street. I'm not going to be able to afford to keep going, I just don't have the money. I have money for a couple months of it because I made a little extra doing some side work, but that's not an ongoing thing.

I don't want to quit, but I can't afford it and I'm a little worried about motivation and form if I just try to do the WOD by myself in the regular part of the gym.

Ideas? Advice? Anyone else doing crossfit on their own, outside a box or class?

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBearJr
    Options
    Well to keep up the motivation I would suggest adding crossfit friends on here if you don't already have some. You can go on the crossfit website to see wods. Amazon has pretty reasonable prices on some equipment like a rope kettle bell and abmat. You can do some workouts in the park to work on pull ups etc etc.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to my original box back near the end of October last year after going 6 times a week for a few months. I still follow a CrossFit lifting program, though. I've found that as long as I have a plan in front of me, that's enough motivation. "I've got this, this, and this to do today. Let's get started!" If I just go into the gym thinking that I'll work on a few things here and there, I'm much less productive and much less motivated. Go in with a definite plan and you're much more likely to get it done, I think.

It helps me lo know that someone else who really knows what they're doing is programming my workouts. It makes me feel more confident in my results, and it also provides a good metric by which to gauge success since I'm definitely stronger now than I was when I left the box. I would recommend finding a program you like and trying to follow it as closely as you can--either from the CrossFit website itself or from a certified box that you respect. (I follow http://theoutlawway.com/ because I like their focus on Olympic lifts.)

But if you can't afford to go to a box or a gym, the above advice from PCB is pretty good for getting "geared up." When I can't make it into the gym for a WoD, I have a kettlebell and a jump rope, and there's a park about a quarter of a mile away that I can run to for things like pull-ups. And of course, there are countless numbers of bodyweight exercises you can do anywhere with no equipment: push-up variations, air squats, pistols, lunges, etc. I've no doubt that $50-75 would get you set up for at least a couple months.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Those are all good suggestions. It makes me feel a little bit better about that day when I'm going to have to stop going to the class. Do you think "cheaper" crossfit is in our future?
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    I guess my real concern is this: the crossfit knock off I've been going to doesn't have the focus on olympic lifting. There's a WOD, but I know in true boxes there's 20 min or so of focused weight lifting practice before the WOD, and we dont' do that in my class. I'd like to start, but I'm scared of doing it wrong and hurting myself. I can do a deadlift and a squat, but the cleans and snatches make me nervous.
  • RivenV
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Those are all good suggestions. It makes me feel a little bit better about that day when I'm going to have to stop going to the class. Do you think "cheaper" crossfit is in our future?
    Possibly one day. It all comes down to economics, I think. If there are more boxes in your area than are in demand, that will typically drive membership prices down since they'll be hoping to encourage higher membership. If there are not enough boxes to match demand, prices go up because space is at a premium with so many folks vying for it. With the cost of certification (which is substantial, I think) and the fact that most coaches will want to make a living wage, I imagine the price will only fall slowly as the market becomes saturated with other options.
  • RivenV
    Options
    I guess my real concern is this: the crossfit knock off I've been going to doesn't have the focus on olympic lifting. There's a WOD, but I know in true boxes there's 20 min or so of focused weight lifting practice before the WOD, and we dont' do that in my class. I'd like to start, but I'm scared of doing it wrong and hurting myself. I can do a deadlift and a squat, but the cleans and snatches make me nervous.

Most reputable boxes will have a segment before the WOD that involves some form of strength, skill, gymnastic, or Olympic work. Some boxes offer 1-on-1 training sessions or workshops to work specifically on one movement or another; the cost of those sessions can vary. In this area, it's about twice the cost of one day. (As in, most boxes here will charge you $25 to "drop in," so a one-on-one session runs about $50. Workshops are typically a little less expensive than a personal session since they'll typically have a few people attend it; workshops I've attended have been about $35 and run at least an hour. They also frequently involve some type of classroom discussion prior to lifting.) If it's in your budget, attending a workshop or two dedicated to cleaning or snatching would be a good idea.

If not, I would recommend some personal studying on your own time. Watch videos on YouTube; read movement breakdowns; look up pictures that detail good form, etc. When you feel comfortable with how the movement is supposed to work, proceed to practical application with light weight. When I say light weight, I mean using an empty bar or less (like some PVC pipe), depending on your personal level of strength. Much of the reading you will have done prior to actually attempting those lifts will detail where your weight is supposed to be, so pay attention to how your weight shifts as you move the barbell through the lift. If your weight isn't shifting correctly or you're not "feeling" the movement in the muscle groups you're supposed to be, you need to revisit your form.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    Reply fail. :(
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    Workshops are typically a little less expensive than a personal session since they'll typically have a few people attend it; workshops I've attended have been about $35 and run at least an hour. They also frequently involve some type of classroom discussion prior to lifting.) If it's in your budget, attending a workshop or two dedicated to cleaning or snatching would be a good idea.

That's a great idea, thank you.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would really advise against trying to do any of the lifting without a trained coach to help you on form.

I would also look for groupons/living social deals. I ALWAYS see crossfit boxes on there.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I agree with MAU's suggestion to look for living social/groupon deals. I saw one for a box in my area for 3 months for like $150. The other thing to look at is 2x/week pricing or punch card pricing. My box offers 12 classes for $150. Might be worth looking at to get into the box and get some lifting coaching without having the monthly commitment.

It's a bit out there but see if the box will barter with you. I've heard of cases where the box will offer free/reduced prices for folks that help with cleaning and maintenance at the box or help run the website & social media.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It's a bit out there but see if the box will barter with you. I've heard of cases where the box will offer free/reduced prices for folks that help with cleaning and maintenance at the box or help run the website & social media.

This is a great bit of advice. Since most CF gyms are independent and not "corporate" as regular gyms tend to be there is a good chance that something in your budget can be worked out. Good luck! :-)
  • jmarfia
    Options
    Our box does that. We have a guy who cleans in exchange for membership...
  • RivenV
    Options

This is a great bit of advice. Since most CF gyms are independent and not "corporate" as regular gyms tend to be there is a good chance that something in your budget can be worked out. Good luck! :-)

I'm thinking I might look into this when I join another box. I could use the discount, and I'd actually like to open my own CF one day.