Can I convert my road bike to a hybrid?

Options
Kissybiz
Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
I bought a really nice a cannon road bike a few years ago when I was cycling a lot, but I've never really loved it and I haven't ridden it now in almost a year. I had a hybrid before I purchased it, but it was over 16 years old and very heavy. I miss my hybrid though. I prefer a more versatile tire.. being able to ride on dirt roads as well as paved ones.. and I don't like the position of a road bike, not at all as comfortable. About the only thing I like about it is that it's faster and much lighter, since I live upstairs. Can it be converted? Is the expense worth it or should I just buy a new one and try selling my road bike? Just wondering. Would like to ride again.. the weather's been nice lately.

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I quote the Velominati, the keepers of the cog!

"Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."

I have a road bike which is used Feb/March to October then I switch to my Hybrid (on road tyres) as my winter hack/commute bike.

You probably could convert the road bike to a hybrid with new bars and such but you could probably get a hybrid off 'criaglist' or something similar for cheaper than it would cost to convert. I paid £50 for my hybrid...
  • BenVoiles
    BenVoiles Posts: 17
    Options
    Sure, but you probably won't have a triple chain ring. If you have combination brakes and shifters it could get more expensive but every part you need is on Ebay for probably pennies on the dollar of what they cost new. Is your bike a 9-speed? If it is it won't cost much.
  • BenVoiles
    BenVoiles Posts: 17
    Options
    After thinking about it, I think it might just be better to sell your bike and buy either a hybrid or a bike that would cheaper to convert.