Newer Rider

Options
I am a newer rider, rode all summer long and now that it is nice and cold in the NE i am using a trainer. I have been starting slow and doing about 10 to 12 miles rides every other day or so. I know that my seat bones are working there way in but i really can't believe how sore i am it feels like my tail bone is bruised. I don't know if i am doing something wrong or it could be not the saddle for me. I am a bigger gal, so i was thinking about trying another saddle. Just looking for some advice,

Replies

• ghost15026
    Options
    Two primary components to sitting: @ss and saddle. Secondary component: position/form.

Your tail bone shouldn't be sore at all as it should never touch the saddle. A "normal" type of saddle sore would be solely on your sit bones. Are you sitting too far upright (leaning back) by chance? Proper riding position usually means leaning forward to varying degrees. Is it possible that the trainer has your bicycle tilted downward and you're compensating on balance by leaning further back?

Additionally, your handlebars could be too close to your body causing you to lean back. Make sure your saddle isn't tilted incorrectly and/or too far fore/aft as well.

Make sure you have a set of quality padded bicycle shorts. Pearl Izumi is a good brand here in the States.

Keep in mind that padding is somewhat counter-intuitive. More padding can make things worse (pressure on the perinum). Don't assume anything that says "gel" in the name is better for you be it saddles or shorts. The best saddles are often small, stiff and look mostly featureless.

I would also recommend a local shop that sells Specialized brand saddles if you're sure the problem is the saddle. They should have the "@rse-o-meter" - ask for it. It's a gel pad that you sit on and measures the distance between "sit-bones". Buy a saddle designed for your sit-bone width, riding position, and gender using Specialized's chart. You don't have to buy a (usually expensive) Specialized saddle but at least get an idea of your sit bone width.

Don't be overly surprised when you go through numerous saddles before finding a "good" one.