Midnight munchies?

Options
Hey, mamas! I was wondering if any of you were experiencing insomnia and late-night eating. I am using MFP in an attempt to gain baby weight in a reasonable and responsible way. During the day, I do pretty well in meeting or slightly exceeding my caloric goals (currently set to gaining 1/2 a pound a week). I also exercise at least 45 minutes three times a week. However, about every third night, I wake up, and like a woman possessed, I raid the kitchen like there is no tomorrow! I try to make healthy choices (i.e., fruit, half of a pb sandwich, cottage cheese and a few crackers, or a glass of milk), but sometimes the "reasonable" part of my brain is just turned off. Often, these nights involve Nutella, obnoxious numbers of crackers, and chocolate. (Carbs and sweets appear to be a favorite lately.)

Have you experienced this? Do you have any tips that will help me navigate this?

P.s. We had our anatomy scan last week. We did not find out the sex. All is well--except baby has my husband's nose. Ha! I feel baby moving and grooving in my belly with increasing frequency these days. Yesterday marked 20 weeks for me. I'm now more than half-way there! Time has flown!

Replies

• cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I hear you Brain - I find I wake up hungry in the middle of the night and need a snack. Perhaps you are not eating enough during the day? I find that when I exercise and have a active day I'm hungrier than normal and need to eat more than my calorie goals. So far it's been working for with with the night hunger and haven't been gaining more weight than needed.

I hear you about being half way there I"m at the same point and can't believe it. Good to hear everything is going well
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had a stage of this around 14-16 weeks. I was not at all interested in getting out of bed, turning off the alarm, and going downstairs to the kitchen to make a snack ... so I made a pb&j sandwich every night and left it on my night stand. If I woke up at 4am starving, I would eat my sandwich. If I didn't need it, it was breakfast the next day LOL.

I still seem to get the wide awake at 4am, but rarely am I so hungry anymore that I must eat. I think it was just a growing stage, and I am sure there will be more to come!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I went through this same thing weeks 14-16. It was awful. Some nights I'd have to get up 3 times and eat. I think it was becasue I wasn't eating enough. I started making sure I was eating plenty of protein before I went to bed, and it stopped. I would eat Chobani with some granola in it. Now, It seems to have backed off. Even if i'm a bit hungry when I go to bed, iI can sleep through it.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Not yet thankfully!