My First Marathon-Reflections

Options
ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
TL;DR I ran the perfect marathon.

So here goes my marathon report. Apologies in advance if it gets wordy. First of all we stayed downtown, which was the best idea ever. We were 2 blocks from the finish line. I slept terribly but not having to worry about finding parking and all that was awesome. The morning started off cool, I was pretty chilly once I ditched my throw away sweater but I warmed up quickly. Honestly the weather could not have been more perfect. It was a gorgeous day in Houston, cool, low humidity and sunny. Thank you to everyone who recommended going minimal on the clothing. I was very glad I hadn't worn long sleeves at the end.

I started out slow (Thank you Arc918) and kept the pace between 9:20 and 9:30 for the first 10 miles and then started to pick it up and kept it (mostly) under 9:20 for the rest of the race. There was a big hill at mile 12 that was no problem (manage the effort, not the pace-thank you Carson) and the rest of the first 20 was pretty flat. The hills came at about mile 22, but they didn't really faze me.

The crowd support was amazing on this race, thousands of people out, handing out oranges and candy and water and pretzels and vaseline! (that one surprised me) and who knows what else. I felt really good the whole time, except for probably the last 4 miles when the fatigue started to set in and my quads started to hurt. My only issue was sore toes at the end. And I have some massive blisters. I'm going to be losing a couple toenails. I had zero problems with my IT band. (yay!)

There was no wall for me, I smashed through mile 20 with no problem. (Thank you DaveMunger for the tips on carbo-loading) I executed my pacing plan pretty much perfectly and took it one mile at a time. I tried to stay in the moment and just enjoy the experience for what it was (Thank you Victoria for that tip) I had no issues with fueling, took my gels every five miles and Gatorade in between. I never reached a moment when I thought I couldn't go on. When I started to tire I stood tall and shortened my stride. (Thank you Mark) I ran negative splits, and I felt awesome passing hundreds of people in the last 6 miles. I actually couldn't believe how many people were walking.

In the end I finished in 4:05:48 which was my most optimistic but realistic finishing time. I feel like I ran the perfect marathon (for me) and I could not be more pleased. Thank you SO much to all of you in this Long Distance Runners forum for your fantastic advice and all you guys on my friends list who have high fived me for the last 4 months through all the ups and downs of training (and put up with all my anxious ramblings) I thank you. You guys and girls are the best and you inspire me everyday. For someone who was overweight for 25 years and had never run a day in her life until about 20 months ago today was an absolute triumph.

As a bonus my husband and I both made it on the TV for the local coverage. :laugh:

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Wonderful report! I am so happy for you!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you!!! :):):)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I a so happy for you! Congrats on your perfect race!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Perfect race & perfect report!
  • ilajansup
    ilajansup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful! SO happy for you!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome, awesome race. Did I mention awesome?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You killed it girl!!! I couldn't be happier for you right now...I know you must be walking on cloud 9 (if you can walk, that is ; ) )
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This is perfect indeed :)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! that is a great time!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Congrats....I am so happy for you. Awesome job. You are an inspiration. :smile:
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! Congrats on a great race. Don't you love it when a plan comes together?!?
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    Congrats! I did the Aramco half today and I couldn't agree more about the conditions and the course (we had zero hills, though). Great job!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What a great day! This is absolutely fantastic.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Awesome report!!! you did a great job and should be damn proud!!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!, You reached an awesom accomplishment. Thanks for the great report.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    It sounds like you had an amazing and perfect race! What an incredible accomplishment! :-)
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great Race! Congrats
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So awesome! I'm incredibly happy for you.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, you rocked that *****! :-) This is exactly how a perfect race should go, especially a first one. So so awesome that it was also such a good experience for you. Today was also just the perfect conditions, and all the stars and all your training and hard work aligned. CONGRATS!!!!
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love this, especially your thanks to each individual person!