More from the "Clinical Guidelines" for treating obesity

Options
JECole2013
JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
As you know, obesity has been labeled by the American Medical Association a disease and there was a lot of debate about it, but in the end, the panel of doctors and learned men and women voted to name it a disease.

The guidelines are what is handed out to doctors who see patients to give them a roadmap for treatment.

I for one am finally able to speak to willing doctors about obesity and receive more than the "change your behavior" help that I've gotten sometimes in the past. The only difference I ever received was from my GB surgeon, who truly spend time with me and all his bariatric patients to address the entire issue, not just the surgery itself.

Despite years of follow-up with that understand and caring doctor, I didn't seem to "get it." Denial sure, but also ignorance. No other doctor I saw ever gave me the following information from the guidelines:

1. ■ Who is at Risk? All overweight and obese adults (age 18 years of age or older) with a BMI of ≥25 are considered at risk for devel- oping associated morbidities or diseases such as hypertension, high blood cholesteral, type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, and other diseases.

2.■ Why Treat Overweight and Obesity? Obesity is clearly associated with increased morbidity and mortality.

3.■ What Treatments Are Effective? A variety of effective options exist for the management of overweight and obese patients, including dietary therapy approaches such as low-calorie diets and lower-fat diets; altering physical activity patterns; behavior therapy techniques; pharmacotherapy*; surgery; and combinations of these techniques.

After reading the book of guidelines, about a week ago, I made the following changes to my change in lifestyle effort I began last month.

1. I changed my weight goals to include a path of no more than 2 pounds a week and included a plateau at about six months.
2. I spoke to my doctor
3. I changed my exercise goals to a slower start but with the ultimate goal of 30 minutes a day.