Treatments from the AMA for obesity

Options
JECole2013
JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
More from the AMA about obesity, the disease:

"■ Strategies for Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance.
1. Dietary Therapy: A diet that is individually planned and takes into account the patient’s overweight status in order to help create a deficit of 500 to 1,000 kcal/day should be an integral part of any weight loss program.
2. A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal/day for women and 1,200 to 1,500 kcal/day for men. Depending on the patient’s risk status, the low-calorie diet (LCD) recom- mended should be consistent with the NCEP’s Step I or Step II Diet (see page 74 of the guidelines). Besides decreasing saturated fat, total fats should be 30 percent or less of total calories. Reducing the percentage of dietary fat alone will not produce weight loss unless total calories are also reduced.
3. Physical Activity: An increase in physical activity is an important component of weight loss therapy, although it will not lead to sub- stantially greater weight loss over 6 months. Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. Sustained physical activity is most helpful in the prevention of weight regain.

More about exercise:
For most obese patients, exercise should be initiat- ed slowly, and the intensity should be
increased gradually. The exercise can be done all at one time or intermittently over the day. Initial activities may be walking or swimming at a slow pace. The patient can start by walk- ing 30 minutes for 3 days a week and can build to 45 minutes of more intense walking at least 5 days a week. With this regimen, an additional expenditure of 100 to 200 calories per day can be achieved.

All adults should set a long-term goal to accumulate at least 30 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physi- cal activity on most, and preferably all, days of the week.

Reducing sedentary time is another strategy to increase activity by under- taking frequent, less strenuous activities.

Behavior Therapy:
Strategies, based on learn- ing principles such as reinforcement, that pro- vide tools for overcoming barriers to compli- ance with dietary therapy and/or increased physical activity are helpful in achieving weight loss and weight maintenance. Specific strategies include self-monitoring of both eat- ing habits and physical activity, stress manage- ment, stimulus control, problem solving, con- tingency management, cognitive restructur- ing, and social support.

Combined Therapy:
A combined intervention of behavior therapy, an LCD, and increased physical activity provides the most successful therapy for weight loss and weight mainte- nance.

Adapt Weight Loss Programs To Meet the Needs of Diverse Patients.
Standard treat- ment approaches for overweight and obesity must be tailored to the needs of various patients or patient groups.

There is, therefore, no “cookbook” or standardized set of rules to optimize weight reduction with a given type of patient."

Pretty interesting stuff.

Replies

• Katefitin14
    Katefitin14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the starting off slowly and setting a goal for 30 minutes most days of exercise. I am a couch potato and exercise hurts but I know i have to do it.
  • JECole2013
    JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found another website that said not to immediately add lots of exercise because it could trigger a hunger craving, as your body seeks replacement calories. Some of us can't resist, as we should so that our body will start burning stored fats, and we eat it instead.

I think that advice can be misunderstood very easily. For me, I take it all to mean that exercise should be added in slowly if you haven't been exercising regularly, but the goal of all adults should be 30 minutes of exercise a day that burns between 100-200 calories a day.

So the plan I created for myself has me working up to a 200-calorie burn in 6 months. I created a spreadsheet that plots a course of adding 10 calories burned every two weeks in a way that will end with me burning 200 calories in 30 minutes of exercise by 6 months.

I am going slowly also so that I don't hurt myself, pull a muscle for example.

Normally, I would push myself, believing that every calorie burned is a win and every minute exercising is good. This is a much different approach than I've ever done. I will let you know how it goes and if I end up changing it.