Nutrition plan

Options
redheadmommy
redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
What are you doing regard to food while doing P90x3? Following the guidelines to the t? 5 meals exact carb/protein /fat breakdown each meal. Or you just loosely following the carb/protein/fat breakdown? Or just following the suggested calories and protein? How many meals you are eating? The whole 5 meals a day is just not really an option for working people. f you doing the program for a while, how is your food intake working out for you?

I am starting the classic on Wednesday and still debating on the food plan. I did P90X a while ago, and didn't have that incredible result that most people experience and I think because I totally disregard the nutrition plan and didn't eat enough protein. I became so much stronger, but didn't lose that much and didn't increase muscle mass either.

Based on my job/gender/weight, I should follow plan C with suggest 2100 calorie per day, with 158 g protein (30%). I already set this goal yesterday and working on it to see how can I achieve this much protein, which is not easy and I only can see it happen with protein powder. I follow the primal lifestyle and do not eat grains , and also consume lower carb than most people. I have my carb set to 15% (79g) , but may go upto 20% (105g) , but I really do not want to go higher than this. Any suggestion on how to time my carbs for better workout? I am most likely will workout at the evening on workdays and at the afternoon on the weekend.

Replies

• AngDenSti
    AngDenSti Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm on week 4 and have lost 5 pounds so far. I believe that diet is 80% of your chance for success. I don't really follow the meal plan. Like you I work so I find it easier to do what is easiest. I have kept under my calorie allowance everyday and I try to make healthy choices. I'm going to give clean eating a go this week with no carbs after lunch and see how that goes. I can't give up carbs completely and don't think it's healthy to do that, but I am going to eat them early in my day when I can still burn them off. :)

Good luck!!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the nutrition plan recommended in the P90X3 packet. I don't think it's a bad plan - but it is too carb-heavy for me. I really have found that I lose weight, have more energy, and feel less hungry when I'm on a low-carb, high fat/proteing diet. I'm currently going with my carbs at only 10% of my daily caloric intake, with protein at 30% and fats at 60%. (That actually gives me a little more credit than I deserve in terms of monitoring my macros - I'm really just trying to keep my carbs very low and in that range, and letting the protein and fat take care of themselves.) I may up the carbs intake a bit as I go through the plan by adding a glass of chocolate milk after each workout. :)

I am also not doing the 5 meals per day idea. I actually like the concept; however, on a practical level I just can't make it work with my schedule.

My real struggle right now is that I like having the carbs cut way down in my diet - I feel better, and don't feel hungry very often, though I am still losing weight. However, I really do have a hard time getting enough calories in under this diet simply because I'm full most of the time. Good problem to have - but still...
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I'm eating right around 30-35% protein each day, my Carbs normally come from whole, natural foods like vegetables and fruit, whole grain pasta maybe one a week, or from other complex grains like quinoa. I keep my fats high too, yay yogurt!

I don't follow the meal plan. I drink LOTS of water, and eat three meals a day, with snacks between lunch and dinner. I just try and eat the rainbow and very little that's processed. I try and limit my fruit, but I get all the veggies that I want. I never miss protein at any meal. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. :D

I found doing that relieves A LOT of the stress from trying to hit macros exactly and plan your, and your families', meals around it. On the other hand, there are some DELICIOUS recipes in the P90X book. I still regularly make the vegetable soup that porkloin... there are some good things in there.

And if you are eating your way and you feel full, don't worry about hitting calories. Everyone's body and metabolism are different. I would only be worried about eating more if you are feeling faint and weak throughout the day. Its all about learning to listen to your body.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What are you doing regard to food while doing P90x3? Following the guidelines to the t? 5 meals exact carb/protein /fat breakdown each meal. Or you just loosely following the carb/protein/fat breakdown? Or just following the suggested calories and protein? How many meals you are eating? The whole 5 meals a day is just not really an option for working people. f you doing the program for a while, how is your food intake working out for you?

Based on my job/gender/weight, I should follow plan C with suggest 2100 calorie per day, with 158 g protein (30%). I already set this goal yesterday and working on it to see how can I achieve this much protein, which is not easy and I only can see it happen with protein powder.

I try my best to follow the guidelines as closely as possible since I usually get better results that way. I am eating around 2200 calories and I am not having any difficulty hitting the protein without supplements. Today I did simply because I was craving chocolate milk.

For example:
    Breakfast I eat an omelette with two egg whites and one egg. I also add one cup of Almond Silk chocolate milk to my coffee.
    Morning snack is a cup of Greek yogurt with fruit and a single pack of splenda. I also nibble on an ounce of raw almonds.
    Lunch could be many things, but in this example I will eat two 4oz chicken breasts in Arnold Thin sandich buns.
    Afternoon snack may be an avocado.
    Dinner could be 8oz steak with sweet potato and a 16oz glass of milk. You can always sub fish/shrimp/tuna for steak

That adds up to about 2100 calories, 32% protein, 28% Fat, 39% Carbs, which is really close to the guideline.

Hope that helps.

Mike
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to have 3000 calories a day by the P90x3 standards. I dropped it to the 1800 and I cant even get through lunch today. Perhaps I will follow the plans recommendations on food but cut the calories back. It just seems like too much to me.
  • kzeug
    kzeug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I follow it as best as I can. It's really hard to follow it exactly. Just do the best you can and do what feels right to you. Make adjustments as you feel necessary. It's your body and no one else's, so no one knows it like you.
  • maxiefit
    maxiefit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow the meal plan, I more keep it in mind. I set my nutrition goals on MFP based on the P90X3 meal plan, and I basically feel happy if I stay within them and sad if I don't, but that's about it. I'm a super picky eater and my regular diet consists of bread (whole grain), potatoes (sometimes sweet potatoes but usually white), spinach, tomato, french fries, and pita chips. So I just cut out butter, and cut down on french fries. I have lost some weight and lowered my BF% and I am seeing results so I guess something is working, but I know I'd have much better results if I were more diligent.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    As I suspected the nutrition plan way overestimates the calorie requirements , at least for me. I had an RMR test today, and no wonder I was not losing by following the P90X3 nutrition plan.The nutrition guide set me between plan C and D ( 2100 and 2400 calories), which is way way to much. I already cut back to 1850 during the transition week, and finally things stared to move a tiny bit. Now the dietician said I can cut back to all the way to 1700 or maybe even to 1650 to see fat loss.
  • AngDenSti
    Options
    I love X3 but felt like I wasn't getting where I wanted because of my diet. I finally started to lose when I lower my calorie intake. I'm doing the nutrition part of the 21 Day Fix and it is amazing!! I'm eating A LOT of healthy food and shrinking quickly!! ????????
  • tdawg875
    tdawg875 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to start P90X3 and just went through the guidelines tonight. The nutrition guidelines seem okay except for the calorie recommendations. It is recommending that I have 2100 calories. According to my Fitbit, I burn on average 2100 calories (or less). I can't imagine that I will get anywhere (losing weight) if I eat what I am burning. I really need to think about this. I know I will gain muscle if I eat at maintenance calories but I also want to lose weight.