resources for learning how to train properly

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
I've been a not-very-serious runner for a few years now, but in the past year, I've gotten more interested and committed to running. Now I'm training for a 15K race happening next month. I found one of Hal Higdon's 15K training schedules on line, and have been following it as best I can. I've managed to increase my distance (did 8 miles yesterday) and my pace (am averaging about 11:20 min/miles, down from 12:00), but it's probably a miracle that I haven't injured myself doing things too quickly or too intensely. Apparently there's an awful lot about how to run successfully that I just have no clue about. So for those of you who are more knowledgeable, could you maybe recommend books or websites you found particularly helpful?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

Daniel's Running Formula by Jack Daniels

Those are the two resources that I go to the most frequently.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I'll add my ditto for the above with the caveat that Daniel's can seem overwhelming, but it really good stuff. A couple rules of thumb for you: Easy days (at a pace you can converse) are among the most important. Don't increase week over week mileage by more than 10% (not necessarily what "last" week was as much as recent weekly mileage). If you don't have one get a foam roll (you can Google how to use) to help keep issues at bay
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Douglas's Little Red Book of Running. I love it. tons of useful tidbits, easy to digest, and fun to read. I would recommend it to any runner who hasn't done a ton of running reading.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recs!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt recommend anything too 'revolutionary' to be honest. Just increase your distance capacity over time so that you are able to go the distance. As for expected pace, you could type something like 'running pace calculator' into Google. If you know how quick you are over a shorter distance, it will calculate your expected goal time.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Running Technique by Brian Martin (http://www.runningtechniquetips.com/)