Baby refuses to take bottle

Options
anahdz1306
anahdz1306 Posts: 23 Member
Hi there thank you for taking the time to read this. My soon to be 7 month old baby girl refuses to drink from a bottle even tho it's breast milk and warmed. When she was born I started her off with breast milk for a few days then all she would take was a bottle(formula and some breast milk). And that was for about 3 weeks that she refused to nurse. Still I tried and tried cause my main goal/mission was to bf. so I finally got her to latch on so then she refused the bottle then she would take both breast and bottle now it's no bottle. Am I confusing anyone? So if anyone has any tips or tricks to get her to take a bottle again let me know thank you.

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My son was like that. We tried the bottle ( breastmilk) a couple of times when he was 2 weeks old and he immediately showed preference toward the bottle and developed nipple confusion. We stopped the bottle and it was a rough week or two to go back to nursing. After that I was scared to try the bottle for a long time. i was going back to school when he was 10 months old, so I tried again the bottle around the time he was 8ish month, but he was not willing to take it. So I went right into small plastic cup. By the time he started daycare he was drinking alone from the cup.

Your baby already 7 months old, so the bottle only would be use a few month at this point anywAy. Go for soppy cup ,or even better go for plastic cup.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    agree with the above poster - can you try a cup instead of bottle? DS is very interested in cups right now (he is 5.5 months) and I've be introducing the cup with water in it. he doesn't know what to think about water, but I'm going to keep trying.
  • anahdz1306
    anahdz1306 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess I will try the cup my 2 other kids (2 and 4) stopped using the at 1.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My baby turns 8 months old on Thursday, and he's been EBF except for solids started at 6 months. Anyway, I am currently a SAHM but need to be away from him for two full work days coming up soon, plus a couple of other shorter stints. I tried last week and this week to get him to drink breastmilk (room temperature) from everything, various sippy cups, straw cups, even a bottle, all to no avail. I offered the bottle as a last-ditch effort because my older son, who was FF, had the worst time transitioning off the bottle after he turned 1. (With him we ended up doing straw cups, which led to sippy cups, but then it was a struggle to get him to use regular cups, which he just up and decided to use one day.)

I did some very unscientific Google research, and besides various sippy cups or straw cups (I already have a million of those, and none worked), some suggested Playtex bottles with a latex nipple (not silicone - the latex ones are brownish) because compared to silicone nipples it is most similar to the breast.

I am still not thrilled with the idea of a bottle, though, at this point. I really don't want to have to struggle with that transition again!

Some suggested an open cup, either a kids' small plastic cup or a small Dixie cup (bathroom cups). I tried it, and it actually went ok. Granted I was holding him on my hip, which made it difficult for me because he kept wanting to turn his head to look around or get his hands involved, but it might actually work if he were in his high chair, where he has less ability to wiggle. I figure this avoids the whole problem of transitioning off the bottle and may help him learn to use a regular cup (another difficult transition avoided).

ETA that my local supermarket has a ton of Playtex bottles but did not have any with a latex nipple. From my searching on Amazon, it appears that you can't buy the bottles that way. You have to buy the latex nipples separately. Annoying, but Amazon had a 2-pack of Playtex slow-flow latex nipples for less than $3.