How is everyone doing??

Options
Hey,

How are you all doing? When are you babies due?

I'm due 22nd Feb so in another 4 & half weeks. We know we're having a boy, and this is my first baby so I'd love if he comes a week early rather than 10 days late! (10 days is the latest they'd induce here in Ireland).

I'm feeling good but more tiredness and aches have just hit me this week! Woke up with back pain last night. Went for a 5mile walk with hubby and friends on Saturday, and felt fine at the time but was so tired afterwards!!! Needed a nap!

Hubby and I put up baby's cot and some nursery things a few days ago, but he'll be sleeping in a moses basket initially. We're so excited for him to arrive, but I also feel like I have no idea what we're really getting ourselves into, lol. Neither of us have much experience with newborns at all, so it'll certainly be a learning experience!!! Feeling very emotionally ready though, even for the unexpected, can't wait to meet him.

I'm not planning on having an Epidural, but I'm going to keep open-minded. It'll be my first experience of labour so I have no idea how I'll feel, how I'll handle it or how long it will last. If I need extra help with pain relief I'll definitely take it! The options here in Ireland are Gas & Air, Pethidine and then the only other option is an Epidural. So we'll see.

In terms of weight gain, I've gained more than I'd wanted to :-/ I've read the 'Weightgain update' thread here and found it so upsetting at times, because so many of you have been SO disciplined and hardly gained anything but proper baby weight. Me on the other hand….. Blimey….. Well here's my story:
Having started out at about 168lb, I had reached my Goal of 133lbs back in June…then I discovered I was pregnant just before I went on a 2 week holiday in Italy in July which made me gain holiday weight anyway due to being out of normal routine and eating too much lovely Italian cuisine…. but then I just didn't get back into it after that - I don't mean I've been eating really badly or anything, but in order for me to reach my goal weight, I was really strict and logged everything and planned meals in advance etc etc and exercised a lot - just walking, but I did it several times a week and I loved seeing the results. I bought some lovely summary things in sizes I never thought I'd get into so easily….
But after the Italy trip it all went down-hill really and I've gained about 40lbs since May/June!!!!! I know 20lbs of it will drop off within 10 days or so of baby boy's arrival (baby + placenta + fluid etc etc) but that means I will still have 20lbs I want to get shot of as early as I can. I'm not worried though, whilst I wish I hadn't gained quite so much, I'm also being sensible about it and thinking well as soon as babba and I are able to, I'm going to get out for walks with him in the pushchair, I'll make that a regular activity for us and it'll burn more calories pushing him around than just my regular old walking I did before… PLUS I'm planning to breastfeed, which they say can burn as much as 300 to 500 calories a day if you do it exclusively, which I plan to for as long as needs be until he shows interest in other things. I know you also need to have quite a high calorie intake to produce good milk, but that's also motivation for me to plan in advance like I used to and make sure I'm not filling my diary with nonsense calories but rather proper meals and healthy snacks.
It'll be my 30th Birthday 21st May so 3 months after baby boy arrives (unless he's very late!) so I'd love to be back in shape, or almost there (!) by then.

So…. after my long winded update, which I don't expect from anyone else unless you have time and want to share…back to my original question, how are you all??! :-)
Claire x

Replies

• SkinnyMomma02
    SkinnyMomma02 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Im doing alright... I am 34weeks due on March 3rd. Its a boy (my second, oldest is 5years old). Im very tired and have been having very bad back pains. Ive also gained more than I wanted to and more than I did with my first. :-/
    Hope everyone is feeling well and getting excited!!! babies are almost here!!!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire! I'm due right around the same time - somewhere around the 23rd-25th. I could have the baby as late as 42 weeks, though, with my providers. With my first two, I gained in the 50-60lb range and the first 35-40 dropped off by three weeks (but that still left me with a ways to go).

With eating right and breastfeeding, it's very important not to lose weight too quickly, and I've found that my hormones were pretty stubborn... so you may have that "pounds melting away" experience, or it may be the opposite. Meal planning can also be hard when you are on a newborn's schedule - but you can start putting healthy meals in the freezer now, and pull them out as needed - not just dinner items, but breakfast muffins and oatmeal cookies and things like that. :)
  • rachael116
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am feeling pretty good, but very tired - but with ~ 25 more days, I'm not super surprised. I also feel very heavy; I would not survive without my belly-band at this point.

Oh and Claire - I totally hear you on the weight gain update page! I've been pretty diligent with my food intake, but I've gained a lot more than the others in our group have. (and have stayed away from posting my updates for some time). My doctor has reassured me that the gain is ok, so as long as she's happy and the baby is healthy, I'll be fine with it.
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Whelp... I am due on Monday.. 5 days (but who is counting?!?)!

No far nothing is progressing. No painful contractions, no dropping, no other signs. I guess little girl is comfy in here! So far, no talk of induction from my doc, but things might change at my next appt tomorrow. I have my first cervical check as well so maybe that will give me hope!?

I want baby to be nice and healthy... but I want her here too!! =)
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm doing well, just tired (like most of you :smile: )... due March 24th... 9 weeks to go. Seems so far away, but then again, it'll be here before I know it!

I lost 60lbs prior to being pregnant, but I haven't been as disciplined in counting calories since finding out.. I try to update throughout the day and I kinda lag off by dinner time and I think that's my issue a bit.. that and salt! I also exercise during the week since my work building has a gym. I gained about 30lbs so far... disappointed, but as long as my Dr seems ok about it, I guess I should be as well (that and I don't have GD).

Hope everyone has a lovely day!:flowerforyou:
  • dandelyon
    Options
    Whelp... I am due on Monday.. 5 days (but who is counting?!?)!

No far nothing is progressing. No painful contractions, no dropping, no other signs. I guess little girl is comfy in here! So far, no talk of induction from my doc, but things might change at my next appt tomorrow. I have my first cervical check as well so maybe that will give me hope!?

I want baby to be nice and healthy... but I want her here too!! =)

I know that feeling! I always go late, and every day past your due date feels like an eternity... since people keep reminding you about it.

I will say that I didn't have a smidge of dilation until several hours before I gave birth.
  • scienceteacherAK
    scienceteacherAK Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I will say that I didn't have a smidge of dilation until several hours before I gave birth.
    [/quote]

Ahhh this gives me major hope! I am getting HUGE!
  • Alexz210
    Alexz210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a little over 2 weeks left. I pray everyday that he will come a bit early. I am SO UNCOMFORTABLE! Hopefully soon...as long as he's ready and healthy.
    Each time I have a sonogram, he measures very large. I'm not having any more after this, as my doctor is afraid that his estimated weight will intimidate me. Kind of scary!!

Good luck to everyone!
  • dandelyon
    Options

Ahhh this gives me major hope! I am getting HUGE!

Oh good! Sometimes I worry that sharing will have the wrong effect.
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey
    So great to hear from you all.
    Wishing you all the very best of luck with the final few weeks…. the babies will soon be here!!! :-) So exciting.

I'm going shopping later to stock up the cupboards and can make some healthy soups etc to put in the freezer for some easy meals which will just be handy in that first week when baby boy arrives. My hubby loves cooking too and my Mum will come up to help, but still nice to feel prepared with a few things in the freezer :)

Off to the GP later for a checkup, routine, I'm in weekly now. Quite severe preeclampsia runs in my family but I'm not showing any signs of it so far, so all good! 36 full weeks tomorrow, into week 37….. not long to go now, Hopefully! :-)

Good luck everyone!
    Claire x
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm 32 weeks now, went to the Perinatologist on Monday and baby boy is head down, 3 lbs 12 oz. That explains the pressure I'm feeling, so I started to take an easy w/ the exercising and doing light walks instead of my usual elliptical.

Dr said his abdominal girth is small compared to his head size.. it may be that I may have a slight hypertension issue (I don't believe I do... that day I was anxious bc of getting tested for pre-eclampsia and it was 144/83, next day to my OB it was 118/64), which can cause nutrients not to flow bc of circulation issues OR... he just won't be an 8lb baby (I had no idea 8lbs was a gauge for babies!) However, I'm seeing him every week now to monitor his development as well as seeing the OB every week to keep an eye on the blood pressure as well.

That's the one thing that peeved me and caused me to get tested for pre-eclampsia. The nurse took my blood pressure and she said it was 180/90! She was going to get a bigger cuff, but said since it fit my arm, it should be reading fine.. had my lay on my left side and when the Doc came in, it was 130/74. But bc of that specific reading, I got tested.. and I'm fine, lol. I'm not mad at the Dr bc I know he's taking every precaution neccessary and I appreciate it, the nurse ticked me off, haha. Plus, I didn't like going to work later in the day to carry around my biohazard container for 24 hr urine collection! Thankfully, I was able to be slick w/ it and nobody saw, lol.
  • dandelyon
    Options
    Oh, Lisa, there is nothing more I hate than hearing a doctor ramble on about how "it's probably a one off or maybe it's a rare problem you've never heard of, but let's take some precautions because maybe something is terribly wrong ... or maybe not... either way, don't worry about it. We'll just run 5 million tests. No big deal."